Author Topic: Beluga - Discussion  (Read 3554 times)

bluemuffin78

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Beluga - Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 01:06:43 am »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 12:31:16 pm »
Surgery?

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 02:59:48 pm »
Surgery?

Surgery. I wonder if Tilton was perhaps a barber on land. This would have been when barber and surgeon were the same job.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 07:47:21 pm »
I bet that hurt a lot  :-\ :(

HatterJack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 10:16:07 am »
I bet that hurt a lot  :-\ :(

Maybe, maybe not. This happened in 1897, and while the doctor-barber thing was still commonplace, this was essentially the golden age for anesthetics. Cocaine had been in use as a local anesthetic for a little over a decade, and morphine had been around (and more importantly, hadn't been made a strictly regulated drug at that point) for nearly a century. Additionally Laudanum would have been widely available, cheap, and wouldn't be *tightly* regulated until 1970.

I'll admit, I had to read that several times before it really sank in, and was even more surprised to find that it was available *over the counter* until the early 1950's.

All of that aside, this was a whaling vessel, rather than Navy, so it's altogether possible (and incredibly probable) that Captain Tilton just got the guy good and drunk before lopping his finger off.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 07:39:43 pm »
Well - I guess - you just knew it might happen and an extra dose of rum would be your only friend in these circumstances...plus someone with a steady hand, a very sharp knife and had perhaps seen the surgery done before... oh yes - The Good Ol' Days eh? (eek!  :o )

HatterJack

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 05:44:16 am »
Well - I guess - you just knew it might happen and an extra dose of rum would be your only friend in these circumstances...plus someone with a steady hand, a very sharp knife and had perhaps seen the surgery done before... oh yes - The Good Ol' Days eh? (eek!  :o )

I regularly find myself feeling like a man born in the wrong century, but as soon as I reflect on what life was actually like prior to the late 20th Century, that thought goes right out of my mind. The "good old days" were pretty disturbing.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:22 pm »
 ;D give me the era of good anaesthetics, antisepsis and flea-free beds any day  :)