Author Topic: John Wells - Discussion  (Read 3687 times)

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
Re: John Wells - Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 10:22:13 am »
After reading the log, they were probably trying to get morale back up after chasing the humpback and coming back empty-handed the day before. Also, I can't help but wonder if the crew were maybe making trenchers. It takes an awful lot of calories to keep a crew hardy while at sea, especially on fishing vessels (and whaling vessels even moreso, obviously), where the work is incredibly physical by nature. A trencher of an average size, with beef and pork, assuming the meat had been cured prior to cooking (in this case, salted, possibly smoked or pickled, but just going with salted for the purpose of counting) runs a bit short, but in the neighborhood of 1,000 calories (between 850 & 1100 depending on the curing method for the meats).

Modern commercial fishermen (at least on the boats I've worked on) can burn upwards of 3,000 calories a day, and this is on vessels that are powered by engines, rather than wind. I'm not a nutrition expert, or a fitness expert, but I'd wager that our whalers would be burning a bit more than that. Exhaustion, hunger, and bad fishing can turn crews into raging, murderous, mutinous beasts in relatively short order. After missing out on a haul, and having (from what I can see) less than stellar opportunities prior to that, a belly full of meat and bread would go a long way toward keeping the crew from taking their aggression out on each other (or worse, on the captain).

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 01:09:31 pm »
Thanks for the insight!

Given that they are bound for the Arctic Ocean, the cold may also be a factor :-\

Zovacor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 03:26:48 am »
Jumping ahead to see how far this log goes, I found that pages 98 through 115 appear perhaps to be a transcription of "Virgil, Book 1" with some duplicate scans. Not sure whether to mark them as bad pages or not. Real logs end on page 83.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 12:25:02 pm »
I'll pass this question along.

They aren't truly bad, but having to click through date, location, sea ice, weather, and additional info is a bit much.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 09:31:41 am »
Kevin says bad page is fine.
There are occasional interesting or amusing non-weather, non-whaling comments (drinking club rules ;)) that can be marked if anyone wants to do so.

Remember that after using bad page you will not be able to mark normal pages until you return to the "home page" (http://whaling.oldweather.org/#/).
https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/zooniverse/old-weather/talk/175/15142/?comment=36395

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 11:39:15 am »
I'm doing John Wells too - can't wait to see what's tucked away there   ;)