Author Topic: New interface problems  (Read 12881 times)

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
New interface problems
« on: October 26, 2015, 09:13:39 am »
Well, I'm already done with the new interface, it's not working for me.

Clicked Northwind 1947 (and Northwind 1948) Annotate button.
A page is loaded, but my browser window stays at the bottom, it's not scrolling up.
And when I do scroll up, there is nothing in the annotate section.
Only a page is shown with a tools menu partly showing over the page.

Windows 7 SP1, Firefox 41.0.2.

I'm posting here, because Talk looks so overcrowded, it pretty much unreadable.
Not to mention slow loading.

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
Re: New interface problems
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:50:40 am »
It works alright for me - I went to Northwind 1947, chose Annotate, and everything loaded fine.
First I got a 100% blank page, so I said "No" to all the questions.
Then when the next page had loaded, I went back to the vessels page, chose the same vessel - and I got the exact same page. Very nice!  :)
I used my work computer, which has Windows 7 SP1 and Chrome 46.0.2490.71 - will test my personal Windows 10 laptop when I get home.

However, when I tested Firefox 38.0.5 on the same PC, the interface loaded fine but I got the blank page I had already done in Chrome.
Then after Firefox (not my default browser) finished updating itself to 41.0.1, I tried again - same thing.
So in other words, it looks like you should only use one browser for this new stuff.

Maybe you had a connection issue, Maikel? It took some time for the interface to finish loading for me - in both Firefox and Chrome.

For now, I'm sticking with Phase 3 anyway. I got things to finish here.

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:59:07 pm »
Did everything to make it work this morning, i.e. refresh, clear cache, wait, the lot.

Didn't change anything, but I'm happy to report it's working now.
I ran into other problems though.
E.g. when marking row heights:
- the first row didn't draw all cells.
- deleting only works per cell, not for the whole row.
- the more rows, the slower the interface becomes.

I'm giving up and dedicate my time on Classic.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:33:25 pm »
E.g. when marking row heights:
- the first row didn't draw all cells.

I saw that in the beta. The system seems to be very sensitive to the vertical alignment of the bottoms of the header boxes.

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:08:41 pm »
From Maikel's comment, it sounds as if quite a number of problems from the Beta are likely to still exist... Does someone happen to have a concise list that can be checked?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:12:37 pm »
There is much consulting and emailing and conferencing going on right now, the majority of which volunteers are (rightfully) not included.  We will let you know when the PTB come to a conclusion on what to do.

I wish we had more to give you on this, we mods are doing our best.  Keep hoping. 

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:02:44 pm »
I got one more thing: I annotated a blank page on my work computer earlier today, and was given a different page everytime I came back on that computer, but when I log in with my home computer, I still get that blank page from before.

Google Chrome for both PCs, Win7 on work and Win10 on personal.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 11:07:22 am »
When transcribing the heading row the box for typing in the info appears too low down the screen so you can't see the Prev and Next button. You can use carry on by pressing the Enter key but it's confusing especially as its generally the first box that appears on a weather page. It seems OK once you get onto the rows of data.

It would be helpful if there was more of a gap between the box around the data on the page and the input box so you can see the row of weather below the one you're trying to transcribe. I know you can zoom and pan so you can see it but then...

If you zoom and pan while transcribing to get a better view, when you go to the next box everthing goes back to the default position and you have to do all the zooming and panning again.

On the input box you get for location the button to input the " (seconds symbol) is mostly covered by the toolbar for pan, zoom etc.

No indication on the format needed for date and lat/long.

All the input boxes are just 1 free text, so don't get the specific fields currently have in mentions, refuelling etc. I don't know how this info is held or used so this may not be an issue.

Sometimes have problems drawing the height of the weather rows when annotating as get a delay in the boxes appearing, think nothing is happening, start drawing again and end up with two partailly overlapping and oddly sized rows.

To delete a row, have to delete each box.

Save grid for future use doesn't appear to do anything? I assumed next time I annotated on the same ship I would get an option to re-use the grid but I didn't.

When annotating lat/long no idea whether one box for a pair of lat and long or one box for lat and another for long.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 12:31:34 pm »
I found it interface easy to use, if they fix some things. 

• No way to make Talk note of page.
  • Must go back for next random page after transcription with "There isn't anything to transcribe on this ship. Help annotate logs on this ship or try another ship?"
  • Runaway box proliferation if I ever pull one outside the page edge.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 04:11:41 pm »
When transcribing the heading row the box for typing in the info appears too low down the screen so you can't see the Prev and Next button. You can use carry on by pressing the Enter key but it's confusing especially as its generally the first box that appears on a weather page. It seems OK once you get onto the rows of data.

Yes, I got this and it stymied me totally - I didn't think of trying the Enter key, so never got any further.  It was just about visible for some of the headings, but vanished altogether before I got to the final heading.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 04:40:53 pm »

Yes, I got this and it stymied me totally - I didn't think of trying the Enter key, so never got any further.  It was just about visible for some of the headings, but vanished altogether before I got to the final heading.

You and me both - one of my biggest complaints was having manually insert cursor in entry box because I was using the tab rather than the enter.  Something which has to be into the tutorial after we coerce them to give to a heading tab.  Also, there is a little 'zoom out' button on the white dropdown menu which I found priceless to orient myself to the where the heading boxes were.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 06:05:46 pm »
Read the text at the top right of the screen - right under Transcription ;)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 06:08:40 pm »
Read the text at the top right of the screen - right under Transcription ;)

Aha!  But in that case, why have a 'Next' button?  It just causes confusion (especially when it becomes invisible ....)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 06:14:45 pm »
I find the Next button handy when I want to scroll through some entries to check them :-\
(as just now when I forgot what hour I was on ::))