Author Topic: New (old) Terminology?  (Read 1286 times)

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
New (old) Terminology?
« on: November 04, 2015, 12:48:22 pm »
So I've decided on staying on Albatross for the new decade (1890) and stumbled across this entry

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol026of055/vol026of055_063_1.jpg

In the Commences until 4am portion, there's a mention of a "heast line" parting and a new line being run. It could be heart line, but it seems pretty clearly an "s" there. I've got a bit more than a passing familiarity (or so I thought) of sailing terms, but I can't recall ever having heard this one before. Is this just a weird way description of a halyard? Maybe as specific as a particular headsail (although having staysails, as Albatross had, unfurled in a storm seems like a particularly bad idea)? It doesn't seem to be as serious as a rode parting, but I can't for the life of me think of what this might be.

Hurlock

• View Profile
Re: New (old) Terminology?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 01:03:14 pm »
I wonder if it might be breast line.
The Br in breeze are clearer formed though.

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:10:14 pm »
That could be it, Hurlock. That definitely makes more sense anyway. Maybe its just harder to read here because it was kind of a big problem and he just kind of got sloppy in the heat of the moment.

The thought of  losing a mooring line in the middle of an arctic storm (even in the summer), in the middle of the night, even if it was just the single line... that's one of those "I don't care if I'm racked out, wake me up if that goes wrong" kind of things.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:28:40 pm »
I'm with Hurlock ;)

New word to me ;)
breast line: a mooring line securing a ship to that part of a pier alongside it.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/breast-line

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 03:57:07 pm »
I suppose it's the same root as 'breasting up' when two or more ships moor alongside a bank or pier and only the inner ship may have lines going ashore. Often used on inland waterways.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 08:15:30 pm »
the writing varies slightly, but 'br' for breast seems more likely - especially looking at 'heavy' close by in the text :)