Author Topic: Hassle Hassler  (Read 7219 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Hassle Hassler
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 10:51:01 pm »
I'm thinking we have to remember that transcriptions never get counted by pages in the new OW.  They get counted by box.  Any time 7 people mob the start of the same ship, it is likely that somebody will be the third transcriber before you get there.
And the "getting stuck" at the end of transcribing a full page, meaning whichever boxes are open, is a known bug that should be on everyone's list to fix.

I'll also be interested in which hangups happened because we were deliberately hassling the system but don't happen when it is more quiet.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 07:55:12 am »
I find it curious that it is the last boxes that Caro and Helen didn't get rather than the first.

We can guess, but I think this is a question the technical people have to answer.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 07:56:58 am »
Thanks to everyone for participating!

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 10:40:46 am »
Just because I'm curious  :P I've just clicked on transcribe from the ships page and I got the last page I annotated (but didn't transcribe) yesterday, and starting on the first box. Does this mean no one was just transcribing or just not enough people? I haven't at any stage in testing got a page annotated by someone else, its either been a page I've done or I get the message saying there are no pages to transcribe. I don't know if this is a problem or just a timing issue.

I'm assuming each box needs to be transcribed 3 times (or whatever number is decided) but how many times is each page annotated? If annotated more than once, does each annotation then need 3 transcriptions?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 12:19:16 pm »
It probably means this a is soft launch the so far only the forum knows about.  Even all the Classic OW transcribers who never visit the forum changed over to the 'classic' url some months ago, and all the PTB working on her back end are taking the weekend off.  And we forum members spent ourselves yesterday and then went back to the usual ships.  :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 12:48:00 pm »
Just because I'm curious  :P I've just clicked on transcribe from the ships page and I got the last page I annotated (but didn't transcribe) yesterday, and starting on the first box. ... I haven't at any stage in testing got a page annotated by someone else
Same here.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2015, 12:59:24 pm »
Hi-di-hi Hassler hasslers! Have we any experiments to preform today?  :D

In the meantime I'm going to carry on annotating in the hope of recreating a few oddies from yesterday :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 01:02:20 pm »
I'll be testing off and on all weekend - a little more on Hassler 1875 (grids) and then back to Northwind 1946.

If I can help anyone with testing, let me know ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:06:33 pm by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2015, 01:32:33 pm »
I've done two grids for Hassler, but neither lines up right for my current weather page :(

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2015, 01:38:49 pm »
Hmmmm -that's interesting. You see, I'd like to be able to do a grid, move to another page and be able to wobble that new page slightly underneath the grid to make it fit the grid. I've seen many grids that I could have happily used - but they were way out of line by the time they got to me. Getting this one element sorted would save a huge amount of time taht could be released to transcribing.  :-\

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 02:43:23 pm »
Clicked on Transcribe on Hassler 1875 and got the weather page I annotated yesterday. Transcribed down to 6pm row, then clicked 'Finished with this page'. Now saying there's nothing to transcribe even though I left boxes blank on this page.

I then tried transcribe on all the other ships and getting nothing to transcribe for all of them.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 03:11:05 pm »
Hi jil!  :) Nice to know I'm not hassling alone  :D

Win7 Chrome 46

I just did a weather page after entering through 'transcribe'. In the afternoon section the boxes suddenly got more and more out of kilter as I went across the page, and at 8pm there were no box edges visible. I entered 'enter' each time it stopped by a weather datum and kept doing that as it circled around that line time after time after time.

So I just tried pretending that the boxes were there and entered what I thought should be going in. It ended 2 boxes short, but did move on to 9pm

The 9pm row - the log book data was partially covered by the transcription window, luckily the numbers were obvious even so, and I filled in the 'pretend' boxes. I managed to get all of them in.
And then it went to the next line, except that it returned to 8pm again.

I filled in the 8pm pretend boxes this time around & got all the details in.

It then went to 9pm - but all of the details I'd put in beforehand were gone.

After 9pm second time around it moved onto 10pm

10 pm worked fine and the boxes are suddenly back, although still not in line with the data entries by the end of the line.
And 11pm and Mid. worked in the same way

It then took me back to the beginning of the day.

So - on working back through it:
The two times that I went past 8 pm with no highlight boxes happened again and showed no details.
Then the line of 8pm that I just decided to take a chance with turned up. The highlight boxes were back and all the details were there. Highlight boxes still not in line by the end of the row.
9, 10, 11, and Mid were all normal - showed highlight boxes and the data. Highlight boxes still not in line by the end of the row.

Taking a break before doing any more though!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:59:51 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 03:16:55 pm »
 :o :o :o

Clicked on Transcribe on Hassler 1875 and got the weather page I annotated yesterday. Transcribed down to 6pm row, then clicked 'Finished with this page'. Now saying there's nothing to transcribe even though I left boxes blank on this page.

I then tried transcribe on all the other ships and getting nothing to transcribe for all of them.

I get a page to transcribe - one I annotated.
I think there is a second one that I annotated available, but I forget :-[
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:18:40 pm by Randi »

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2015, 03:26:45 pm »
I just annotated, but did not transcribe, this page on Hassler:

https://zooniverse-static.s3.amazonaws.com/old-weather-2015/The_Arctic_Frontier/Coast_Geodetic_Survey/Hassler/hassler-1875-split/hassler-1875_0257-0.JPG

In theory, it should be available to several people for transcribing.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2015, 03:44:13 pm »
In theory, yes.
"There isn't anything to transcribe on this ship."