Author Topic: Launch interfaces are down  (Read 4713 times)

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Old Weather In The News - Launch crash
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 12:45:38 am »
Speaking of 'Noon somewhere.....'

OLD story from the 70's when my summer job was driving bus (Motor Coach) for Greyhound Bus Lines. 

Did a Buffalo to New York City run - about 9 hours of driving. Left at 10:00pm and ended at about 7:00am the next morning. Dropped the bus and 3 of us went to a famous Irish Pub for Corned Beef dinner. Coming out of the bar we encountered a couple ladies from the Women's Christian Temperance Union who castigated us roundly on the wages of sin and a bar at 8:00am!!

My Irish partner in his best Brogue explained that we had been up all night driving, this was 'dinner' for us, and we were going to the bunk house for 8 hours sleep before doing the reverse of the trip. They were somewhat understanding, but..........

Probably the ONLY time I ever drank beer at 8:00am in the morning!!!   ::)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 12:59:02 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 01:41:09 am »
I did the reverse which was worse. When I worked as a forecaster at the Canadian Air Force Base in Baden-Soellingen in the 1970s, we worked one of two shifts which ran from 6 PM to 9 AM for the night shift and 9 AM to 6 PM for the day shift. After my last set of three nights, I had to go to the Officer's mess for the traditional goodbye, which involved drinking a litre of German beer as fast as possible. I had gone to bed at 10 AM, got up at 4:00 PM, got on my uniform and went to the mess for the goodbye at 5:00. So, in my case, although the drink was in the late afternoon, for me it was before breakfast!  Just to make sure you drank as fast as possible, all the officers would shout, "Drink! Drink! Drink!" until you were done, at which point you had to put the empty glass upside down on your head. Not the best thing when you're sleep deprived and you have an empty stomach.  ;)