Author Topic: New log book interface  (Read 1237 times)

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
New log book interface
« on: December 12, 2015, 10:53:25 pm »
Problem
I have only tried the first iteration of the new interface and found difficulty in designing the template (which entries to use, ex, do I add barograph or just the two entries below it, etc). Whilst I appreciate all the hard work which has gone into the instructions, I doubt a newbie will read much of them. We need Newbies.

Possible solution
Can a list of ready made template be incorporated in the New interface.
The templates could be made up for the known pages and when a Newbie (or an oldie) needs one they click or download the appropriate one and off they go.
How can you ask a newbie to make up a template for something they know nothing about.

Mods
I know you are reluctant to add new problems to the interface list but this idea may not be that hard to implement and whilst the code cutter is working they may just be able to add it in.

Food for thought.
Regards
Stuart
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:52:17 pm by Pommy Stuart »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New log book interface
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 08:10:36 am »
Reading Caro's Tutorial Old Weather Talk > Old Weather - Learning the Ropes > Guide to annotating: selecting and marking data
Will answer that question ;)

(just the two entries below it)

I also thought about ready made templates when they started working on this idea. However, in my experience there is too much variation in log book formats and and even between logbooks with the same format for that to be feasible. I had a beautiful grid for Hassler 1874, but when I started a new logbook, I had to draw a new grid.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:30:05 pm by Randi »

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 08:18:46 pm »
Thanks Randi.
It did answer one question and gave me more overall info.
I had not been the new Old weather talk area before and wondered where it was, I get lost in the old forum with so much in it.
(I am still slogging it out on the Concord so have not need to look elsewhere)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 08:27:37 pm »
Thanks Randi.
It did answer one question and gave me more overall info.
I had not been the new Old weather talk area before and wondered where it was, I get lost in the old forum with so much in it.
(I am still slogging it out on the Concord so have not need to look elsewhere)
Well, if you only want to comment on a particular page, ESPECIALLY if you want the comment to go to data analysts for any reason, use the Talk Notes from the interface when you have finished that page, instead of choosing 'go to next'.  Your note is both permanently tied in the main computer for any data analyst to open, and registered in Talk for our comments.  No sorting thru anything else needed at all.  :)

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:01:17 pm »
Just to clarify:
OW: Whaling lets you to create Notes on Talk through the 'Discuss this page' option.
The new OW interface doesn't have 'Discuss this page' at the moment.

PS. Stuart, the easy way to find OW Talk is to click Discuss at the top of interface pages.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:11:30 pm by Caro »