Author Topic: From all hands  (Read 2201 times)

jd570b

• View Profile
From all hands
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:29:16 am »
I've ran into a phrase that I'm not familiar with.  "bread and water from all hands"  ???

Jamestown (1886)
01/08/1887 - http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jamestown/vol058of067/vol058of067_145_1.jpg
By order of Comdg Officer the following punishments were awarded:
Ellsworth, J.L. (1st C. App.) 48 hours bread and water from all hands until 10 PM. for not obeying orders of a Petty Officer
Hildebrand, A.H. (2nd C. App.) 3 days bread and water from all hands until 10 P.M. for insolence to Schoolmaster

Has anyone ran into this before or have any ideas?

propriome

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: From all hands
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 09:25:32 am »
Hi jd570b!

Never found it mentioned before, but by looking here: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/crews/crews.htm (page "24" almost at the mid of the document - there are several other sources online once you get the general meaning), "all hands" should be a time in the morning, not totally sure what time is it though (i suppose it's just the morning muster)... will search more deeply, i'm curious.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:28:30 am by propriome »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:55:21 pm »
Very strange, but it does sound like a time given the context.
As Matteo says, maybe the morning muster.

Does that mean that they can eat what they want after 10pm?

PS Great find on ibiblio !
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:05:45 pm by Randi »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:09:14 pm »
Does that mean that they can eat what they want after 10pm?

Probably - but I think the galley closes at 9.55 pm (just joking  ;) ;) ;D:o

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 12:52:00 pm »
Ellsworth gets only bread and water between morning muster and 10 PM (presumably lights-out) and nothing else for 48 hours.

Hildebrand gets the same for three days.

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:59:19 am »
I don't know if it's set in stone, but here is a time reference for "all hands".

U.S.S. Yorktown - At anchor off Vigan, Philippines.

13-12-1900 - 4 to 8 A.M.:
At all hands, 5:00 o'clock, released S.F. McMahon - W.T. - from sentry's charge, he having become sober.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Yorktown/vol022of040/vol022of040_269_1.jpg

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 12:19:30 pm »
Just got off the horn with my cousin, who's sitting at Coronado Naval Air Station, presumably playing Call of Duty or something rather than working. I kid, but still, Navy family comes in handy. I asked him for a final word on the whole "all hands" thing in order to get the record straight.

According to what he was taught in OTC, "all hands" has two meanings. One is official, and is a longstanding part of Navy regulations, dating back to 1843 when the "rules and regulations for the government of the Navy" was first codified. The other is just an offhand jargon term meaning everyone in a specific department, or everyone aboard, depending on who's calling for all hands.

The official, daily one, actually happens twice. Once in the morning at 08:00, with the first call given five minutes prior for all hands to morning quarters, which is the morning formation for muster and inspection, as well as for the raising of the ensign. The second is at sunset, which is another formation for muster and inspection, lowering of the ensign, and release from duty for all sailors not assigned a night watch.

So... it appears that we're all pretty much dead on with assuming that the term, as used, was regarding the morning muster. As for Yorktown calling muster three hours early, sometimes ships acting in active theaters of operation will call muster early, because etiquette takes a back seat to operational need, and she would have been rather occupied with the Philippine-American War going on.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 01:17:08 pm »
thanks Hatterjack! And thank the relatives too for us  :D

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 03:16:22 pm »
There might be a war going on, but Yorktown is doing a whole lot of nothing.
Oh, sorry, not quite true, they're scraping and painting the ship, overhauling compartments and running errands for the army. ;)

Yorktown has daily muster at 9 o'clock, 9:30 on Sundays, in the morning and 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

Edit: corrected spelling mistake.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:05:39 am by Maikel »

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 03:46:33 pm »
Oh, sorry, not quite true, they're scraping and painting the ship, overhauling compartments and running errants for the army. ;)

Yorktown has daily muster at 9 o'clock, 9:30 on Sundays, in the morning and 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

Concord had theirs at various times (going on memory here) but it was most often at 10:00 AM and again at 5:00 or 5:30 PM.  Sadly, on a personal note, for the ship I'm on, the C.O. calls all hands to muster at 6:50 AM.  :'(

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 05:30:37 pm »
Oh, sorry, not quite true, they're scraping and painting the ship, overhauling compartments and running errants for the army. ;)

Well wise folks often say 'keep your powder dry' and I guess this lot are doing that by not exposing it to any action. So there you are - they are clever not lazy  ;) ;) ;D