Author Topic: Circle of Death  (Read 1116 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Circle of Death
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:33:41 pm »
It seems that after annotating five pages on one ship with one browser you get a permanent busy cursor on that ship with that browser >:(

Quote from: Bob
Tested on Mac OSX, Firefox and Chrome - Please let me know if PC experience is different! (Like I have to ask  ;) )

Here are the steps to clear the wait state (C.o.D.) in Chrome:

Warning: This will affect other things/apps that use cookies to store data. You may lose your saved grids, for example. [?]

• Go back to OW page and Log Out
  • 'Settings' in Chrome menu at upper right
  • 'Show Advanced Settings' at bottom left
  • Under Privacy select 'Clear Browsing Data'
  • 'From the beginning of time'
  • Make sure just 'Cookies' are selected, unless you want to clear something else, too
  • 'Clear'
  • Return to OW page, Log In, and check Annotate access

You can also use an Incognito (Private Browsing) window (also under Chrome menu in upper right). When you close one of these it automatically deletes all the associate browsing data. Once a ship goes C.o.D. just close the Icognito window and open a new one! Any saved grids will probably be lost.

Firefox is similar:

• Go back to OW page and Log Out
  • In Firefox menu at upper right select 'Preferences'
  • Select 'Privacy' in menu on left side
  • Under History select 'clear your recent history'
  • Set Time Range to Clear to 'Everything'
  • Make sure just 'Cookies' is selected
  • 'Clear Now'
  • Return to OW page, Log In, and check Annotate access

You can also open a 'New Private Window' under the Firefox menu, it works the same as an Icognito window in Chrome, just close it at C.o.D. and open a new one.

I would personally just use the private window solution. Clearing cookies globally gets to be a pain when all my frequent sites 'forget' who I am. You could probably get it to work by selectively deleting just the Zooniverse cookies, but that's tedious.

Windows 7 + Firefox:
I have an "Open menu" icon at the upper right. Once I click on that I can select History directly.
It works for me!

WARNING:
Clearing Cookies also clears the pages to be transcribed. Transcribe all annotated pages before clearing the cookies.
I suspect that if you annotate a page in a Private Window you better transcribe it before closing the window...

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of Death
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:52:57 pm »
Should we start a list of available browsers for us to burn up on our way through the project?  ::);) )

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 07:59:01 pm »
Firefox Private Window and Chrome Incognito Window are probably the simplest solutions for the moment...

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:01:30 pm »
In all seriousness I've been using Chrome Incognito a fair bit recently and it's been quite useful. I like it  though I'm not working so much on OW5 as your good self :)

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:23:18 pm »
There is a more precise way to recover from this without purging all your other browsing data (cookies, etc.), but it requires digging into the browser data storage area and identifying exactly which is the offending bit.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:59:26 am »
Bob and I have discovered that once the CoD appears for Farragut (#4094), simply changing ls.subject_set_page_4094 from 1 to 0 causes 5 new entries in ls.subject_set_queue_4094 - and resets ls.subject_set_page_4094 to 1.

The same principle works for other ships - you just have to replace 4094 with the number for the ship in question.