Author Topic: Adding data to Old Weather, collaboration or developers and community advice?  (Read 2123 times)

khufkens

• View Profile
I'm experimenting with the scribeAPI to launch an old weather like transcription project. It aims at transcribing matching weather records, for the Congo basin, to support my Jungle Rhythms project and the modelling exercises that will happen within this context. There are many stations, with at least 10 years of data for the 50's and some going back to '10. A valuable record for a historically and currently under-sampled region. An example sheet is attached below. This is one of the more complete records, mostly it is three columns (min. max. temperature and precipitation) on various sheet formats (but for the 50's mainly this structure).

I'm wondering if there is a way I could duplicate the framework or add data to the OW project in any way. I'm good with code, but just duplicating the interface of OW would be a waste of time. So I prefer to collaborate within the OW context if possible. Sadly, no boats are involved so the context is a bit different - so just adding data is not really possible I think.

Any help / insights / feedback from OW developers and community at large would be appreciated.

(sorry for reposting, but seems like most people are on this forum and not on Talk)

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
As someone who hates drawing boxes with a passion, I might consider transcribing some of this material if presented with a pre-drawn grid to fill in. It isn't the easiest to read, especially since some of it is in French and my French is suffering from near terminal corrosion and the French figure formation is somewhat different to the English. However, practice makes perfect and some accurate examples to check on would be a help in the early stages. I think you would need to establish that this info would contribute to the overall climate data in a meaningful way which is commensurate with the amount of volunteer effort involved. As a volunteer I want to be convinced that either the project is intrinsically enjoyable (e.g. Snapshot Serengeti) or scientifically or historically valuable (e.g Old Weather and its Ship History spin-off).

I can't contribute to the computer side - I regard them as necessary tools for some activities and their use is to be avoided unless there is no reasonable alternative. I just failed to connect my new Windows 10 computer to my brother's wireless printer in the same room. The reason offered by the 'help' on the system was unintelligible to both of us. I finally e-mailed the file to him (computers in same room!) and he printed it.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
I would suggest setting up some spreadsheets and just copying the data directly into them. Then, copy all the data Ctrl-A Ctrl-C from the sheet and paste it into one data box. The data would tab separated and trivial for the end user to parse. In this image, I have enlarged the image to a size I like, and I set my spreadsheet so that the row height in the sheet corresponds to the row height on the image. You can shift the columns in the sheet to the left or right so that the column in which you are entering data is always right beside the column in the image. It's clean and it's easy. No messing with boxes.  ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I like the idea of that Michael. Most of us know exactly where we are with Excel :)

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You know, you can make an image the background for your spreadsheet and just type on top of it.  ;)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
You know, you can make an image the background for your spreadsheet and just type on top of it.  ;)

Wow, I had no idea! That is brilliant!!!!  :)

How do you do that?  :-[
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:29:33 am by mapurves »

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
In the version I have on my work laptop (Office 2007) it's under Page Layout, Background.

How do you do that?  :-[

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Brilliant!!!

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So, you'll be adding a handy collection of Excel macros to all that great AHK work?  ;D 8)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
So, you'll be adding a handy collection of Excel macros to all that great AHK work?  ;D 8)

As soon as you pay me as much as Craig did!  ;D

Let me know and I'll send you all the details for my bank account and PIN so you can deposit the money!

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Zovacor

• View Profile
I think working in spreadsheets (and especially working in columns rather than rows) is so much simpler and quicker. Thats a great trick about the background. OW7?

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
 Might even go back to do some weather transcription if you can get that interface working!!

:) ;)