Author Topic: International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREG)  (Read 1168 times)

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
It doesn't make for terribly interesting reading, unless you're a sailor, but is a breakdown of... well, what the title says. The COLREGs have rules for lights, shapes, and specific pennants to be shown at various times, so if you're wondering why there's a reference to a certain light setup/shape doodled in your logbook/pennants flown for reasons you don't understand. You can look it up here.

This could probably be better served in the Outside Links topic, but that's locked :p

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREG)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:45:07 pm »
Is there a prize for the first of us to learn them all off by heart please Hatterjack?  ;) :D

They are very interesting and I've bookmarked it.  :)

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:36:22 am »
As a sailor, and in International Waters (Lake Ontario spans the USA/Canada Border. I am responsible for some Colregs rules and the boat is inspected under them as I'm responsible to both Countries.

Besides, one should know the 'Rules of the Road' because a Collision at Sea can ruin your whole day!!!   ::)

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 10:40:34 am »
In a smallish boat I'd have thought that a 'Collision at Sea' might ruin your whole life!!   ::) ::)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 01:25:37 pm »
In a smallish boat I'd have thought that a 'Collision at Sea' might ruin your whole life!!   ::) ::)

Well that's the sobering truth of it   :)

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 12:52:27 pm »
It holds true, even with large-ish vessels, although it's *usually* the smaller ship that pays the ultimate price :(