Author Topic: OW5 Log Page Order  (Read 575 times)

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
OW5 Log Page Order
« on: October 30, 2016, 02:15:11 pm »

Here's a link to the developer's discussion thread on trying to get the OW5 interface to present pages in date-sequential order:

https://github.com/zooniverse/old-weather/issues/95

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: OW5 Log Page Order
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 06:34:45 pm »
I read over the discussion about OW5 Log Page Order and didn't understand much except that it doesn't seem to be easy to solve. My simplistic question is: if the pages are scanned in date order why is it so hard to present them to us in date order? (I am afraid to hear the answer to this one  ;D)

The other question is do they have a plan to fix it? I saw something about a user choice between random and sequential. Is that being implemented?

Sorry to ask this question here. Feel free to move it to where it should go.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 06:38:39 pm »
It's a good question Craig. I don't have an immediate answer so I'll try to find out.  :)

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 06:41:52 pm »
My simplistic question is: if the pages are scanned in date order why is it so hard to present them to us in date order? (I am afraid to hear the answer to this one  ;D)

Gotta admit, I don't really understand that either because the developers did get it right for the over 330 ships of OW Classic.
There were a few exceptions where the order got a little messed up (Patterson!), but overall they did a terrific job of keeping pages in order.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:33 pm »
Even on Patterson we do usually get a whole logbook at a time - at the moment it has to be said we're dotting around a lot.  Recently we've been in various parts of 1899, 1898, 1900 (not necessarily in that order) and are now back in 1873. 

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 07:42:42 pm »
From what I can gather, OW5 was built using Zooniverse-common subject presentation and tracking software elements, which are designed around random subject selection. I haven't worked a lot of Zooniverse projects, but randomly presented subjects don't seem to be a problem for most of them. In fact, for many things it's probably a desired method as a way of minimizing observer bias in sequential image evaluations.

The details are really down in the weeds, but that developer discussion hints at the problems that they're having trying to shoehorn the existing software into a date-sequential mode. But they are (or at least were) trying, so our complaints have been heard!

It is a shame, though, they didn't see fit to adapt the OW3 workflow to a newer software system, if that was the problem.

Whaling, BTW, was built around something called Scribe, which is an entirely different system. The random presentation of transcriptions probably draws from the same thinking, though.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 03:15:04 am »
Please take a look at this one.
The "sequential page viewing" is important to us too!

Shakespeare's World Poll

Hi there,

The one year anniversary of Shakespeare's World is fast approaching (look out for our next email in December). To celebrate we're working on fixing some bugs on the site, and we're thinking of adding a new feature: sequential page viewing, so that you can work on manuscripts in order.

Before we go ahead and make this change, we want to ask you what you think. Is this a helpful feature? Take this very brief survey to help us decide whether to go ahead with the feature. Poll closes this Friday November 18th.

Thanks in advance!

Victoria and the Shakespeare's World team

Meg and the Comet Hunters Team

:-X

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 02:29:20 pm »
I have responded - even though I rarely actually do anything on Shakespeare's World.  I hope it may have a trickle down effect ....

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 05:53:48 pm »
I did exactly the same as Helen. Hoping it will trickle down - fascinating taht someone managed to get the point across though. I remain somewhat miffed that we're still waiting to regain the excellence of OW3 within the page provision in OW5.