Author Topic: The future of oldWeather  (Read 2951 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The future of oldWeather
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 12:35:11 am »
I do ;)

I'm just wondering if there should be special case like for animals.

Zovacor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 03:56:07 am »
Thanks for raising the future of the project. I've been avoiding whaling and the new OW because they don't seem to be working or going anywhere and instead been focusing on the Jamestown 1844 (now at 61%).

I'd be happiest with simply a .jpg (or pdf or whatever) and a spreadsheet side by side (or overlaid as that seems feasible). Data entry on the spreadsheet would be much faster and would allow me to go column by column with similar values rather than row by row. Templates of common formats could probably be developed without too much trouble. Noting which ships are template compatible vs ones which have unique formats would also be feasible (similar to our 4 star system now).

I've also noted this before, but are there any format/workflow improvements that can be taken from the Smithsonian transcription site? https://transcription.si.edu

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 04:19:49 am »
Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 08:01:31 am »
Every so often someone mentions editing the US ships. As someone who is just editing at the moment what are the plans and where would edited logs go? With so many sites going down I would hate to waste my time on a site which would 'die' before I do!

If you like, you can already pick an US ship for editing. :)

Did you check your most favourite website?
Some of the transcribed US ships are already available at NHN.
Hopefully the rest will follow soon. [hint to Philip ;)]

http://www.naval-history.net/OW-US/USAShipsIndex.htm

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 10:20:21 am »
As a British early adopter of OW I feel I want to finish the RN ships, especially those who were involved in WW1. After that I will see what is on offer and what editing a US log would involve. The jargon will be more of a challenge but it would certainly be worth a look.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 11:29:32 pm »
I've also noted this before, but are there any format/workflow improvements that can be taken from the Smithsonian transcription site? https://transcription.si.edu

Didn't stop to play with it tonight as it's a bit late here, but the Smithsonian site looked very interesting.  :)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 11:41:24 pm »
I was just talking to my daughter. She works in Australia, and her government agency has been privatized. One of her colleagues has been complaining about recent "improvements" to their work, but she has been vigorous in suggesting improvements. Management told her, "You are not casting a positive leadership shadow!"   :o

The next time someone suggests an improvement to OW5, maybe one of the Mods could recommend that that person should endeavor casting a more positive leadership shadow.  ;D

Were the paperwork not so horrendous, it should be a card in Shipopoly!  ;)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 11:50:39 pm »
How a suggestion is phrased can make a lot of difference ;)

(Sometimes my final draft is very different from the first draft)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 11:57:39 pm »
I was just talking to my daughter. She works in Australia, and her government agency has been privatized. One of her colleagues has been complaining about recent "improvements" to their work, but she has been vigorous in suggesting improvements. Management told her, "You are not casting a positive leadership shadow!"   :o

Typical undermining techniques to take the wind out of your sails. The truth is usually that the new bosses immediately perceive you as a threat to their position and that by upstaging them they will lose their (often undeserved) bonus.

The next time someone suggests an improvement to OW5, maybe one of the Mods could recommend that that person should endeavor casting a more positive leadership shadow.  ;D
Were the paperwork not so horrendous, it should be a card in Shipopoly!  ;)
Ah - might have a way of making that easier - a whole new set of cards and we decide to play set 1 or set 2 by rolling a die - odd numbers = set 1 easy! :D
Oh - sorry - perhaps that was not a positive leadership shadow?  ::) ::) ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2016, 11:59:03 pm »

I agree with that Randi - my first drafts are invariably best used to line the bin ;)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 11:59:12 pm »

True dat. However, the organization, which is only a few months old, seems very disfunctional. Mistakes are now "Learning opportunities."  ;D

They've had learning opportunities in billing - it doesn't work; budgeting - they can't get any data; scheduling - it's done remotely by people who are unaware of local requirements; and etc etc etc.

However, they do have lots of leadership conferences so they can learn how to cast bigger shadows and create fewer learning opportunities.  ;D

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 12:00:34 am »
Ah - might have a way of making that easier - a whole new set of cards and we decide to play set 1 or set 2 by rolling a die - odd numbers = set 1 easy! :D
Oh - sorry - perhaps that was not a positive leadership shadow?  ::) ::) ;)

Consider it a Learning Opportunity. 

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 12:13:13 am »
When I got privatised out of the NHS to a US company they sent some young buck to tell us that the staff survey that showed 23% of staff were happy with the new management was a great success because a turn out of 23% was greater than expected. I worked in payroll and pensions. One of our faster members of staff asked how a 67% dissatisfaction rate could be seen as a triumph. Eventually the young buck admitted that it was dumb, said his pay rise was dependent on us being nicer to the company and so we all adjourned to the pub.  ::)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 12:16:44 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now there is someone who knows how to cast a positive leadership shadow!

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 12:20:45 am »
 ;D ;D ;D