Author Topic: Bear (1914) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination  (Read 4198 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bear (1914) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2017, 12:11:01 am »
My goodness - we rub shoulders with some very famous people, who have done great things in their fields, don't we? :)

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2017, 10:45:57 pm »
Reminder: Initiate (right-click) the Location Wizard inside one of the events boundaries, not in the Position cell in Column O.  ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2017, 12:34:46 pm »
That might be me that's doing that Bob  :(  Apologies!!  :)

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2017, 03:22:53 pm »
No worries, I only saw one instance in the latest batch.  :P

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2017, 06:46:20 pm »
Ummmm - right....looking at the noon position below how do I enter it because I've used those purple squares a lot (a real lot)?
Perhaps it explains a question I was about to ask, i.e. I've entered things into those purple boxes, then into the location wizard. The wizard has over-written what I put in the purple squares.  :'(

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2017, 06:58:47 pm »
Sneak preview of the soon-to-be-released Help guide ;)
If this doesn't answer your questions, then the Help guide needs to be fixed!!!

In the logs we are currently using, the noon, 8am and 8pm locations can usually be found in the section below the weather data on the left hand page.
Other locations may be given in the events section on the right hand page.

• The system of location entry described here is probably not final but please follow it until further notice.
  • Except when sea ice is mentioned, only one location is required. In this document the location is referred to as the "Position of Record".
    Normally it will be the noon (observed) location.
    If there is no noon (observed) location it is up to the transcriber to decide what location to use: noon (dead reckoning), 8am, 8pm, an entry from the events, or even the transcriber's best guess.
    The science team has requested that we include as much location information for mentions of sea ice as possible.
  • One big change from previous OW interfaces is that we are now encouraged to do more processing of the location information.
    Strict TWYS is still acceptable, but you are now asked where possible to convert a place name or a place name with bearings into latitude and longitude.
    Decimal latitude and longitude are preferred to the degree-minute-second format typically entered in the log.
    This will be explained in more detail below.
  • Not Specified can be used for a lat/long when you do not know if it is Obs or DR.
  • Place is now used both when there is only a name and when there is a name and a bearing. Port is no longer used.

Position of Record

If the noon location or other location being used is a latitude and longitude, this can be entered using the Location Wizard (Obs).
Right click to select a cell within the green box near the position you are transcribing.
A black-bordered box appears on the page together with a menu, from which you should select Location Wizard (Obs).

Enter the latitude and longitude values including the hemisphere (N/S, E/W), the time and whether the reading is DR, Observed or Not Specified.
The lat/long will be automatically converted to the decimal form.

Click Save.
The Location X in A15 will change to solid green and the lat/long data will appear in the magenta boxes on the right hand page (Loc Tag, Loc Data, Loc Time).

The black-bordered box will preserve the original lat/long data:
<time>Noon</time><type>Location</type><subtype>Obs</subtype><text>40 03 00 N 124 21 00 W</text>

If the noon location or other location being used is a place (with or without bearings), there are two ways to enter it.
The simplest is to follow the existing TWYS policy.
Left click in the magenta Loc Tag box, then on the attached arrow button to the right, and then select Place from the list.
Next, left click in the magenta Loc Data box and type in the place name and any bearings as they appear in the log.
Finally, left click in the magenta Loc Time box and type in the time of the observation.

If you feel more ambitious, you can look up the lat/long of the place (Geographical Help will help).
If the location information includes bearings, you may find OW Bearing in OW Tools - by Mapurves & Propriome useful.
Since the location is based on the observation of a place, Obs should be selected from the list for the magenta Loc Tag box.
Enter the lat/long you have determined in the magenta Loc Data box, and enter the time of the observation in the magenta Loc Time box.

As a safety precaution, please enter the place text as well.
Right click to select a cell within the green box near the position you are transcribing.
A black-bordered box appears on the page together with a menu, from which you should select Event Input Wizard.
The time can be selected from the Time drop-down menu or entered manually.
Select Location from the Type drop-down menu, and select Place from the Subtype drop-down menu.
Enter the text from the log into the Event Text box and click Done. The black-bordered box will preserve the log data:
<time>Noon</time><type>Location</type><subtype>Place</subtype><text>Nome, Alaska</text>

Note: Do not use the Location Wizard (Obs) for positions other than the Position of Record. A new position will overwrite an existing position.

Other Positions

You can enter as many other positions as you want.
Right click near the position making sure that you are within one of the green Event Boxes.
Select the Event Input Wizard from the menu that appears.
The time can be selected from the Time drop-down menu or entered manually.
Select Location from the Type drop-down menu, and select the appropriate entry from the Subtype drop-down menu.
Enter the text from the log into the Event Text box and click Done. The black-bordered box will show what you entered.
If the position is a degree-minute-second latitude and longitude, you can enter it as degree-minute-second or convert it to decimal.
If the position is a place name or a place name with bearings, you can add a second entry showing the position as a decimal latitude and longitude.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:24:07 pm by Randi »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2017, 07:51:02 pm »
If the noon location or other location being used is a place (with or without bearings), there are two ways to enter it.
The simplest is to follow the existing TWYS policy.
Left click in the magenta Loc Tag box, then on the attached arrow button to the right, and then select Place from the list.
Next, left click in the magenta Loc Data box and type in the place name and any bearings as they appear in the log.
Finally, left click in the magenta Loc Time box and type in the time of the observation.

That's what I've been doing. I wonder what I did that was different that Bob noticed - Bob, any ideas please?

(As usual - Joan tests any system to destruction and beyond  ::) :-[ :-\ :P :-X :( )

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2017, 08:17:34 pm »
Ummmm - right....looking at the noon position below how do I enter it because I've used those purple squares a lot (a real lot)?
Perhaps it explains a question I was about to ask, i.e. I've entered things into those purple boxes, then into the location wizard. The wizard has over-written what I put in the purple squares.  :'(

Yes, the 600 version (Bear 1914) writes the decimal values from the Location Wizard into the magenta cells, it was actually intended to just be used for the Noon observation. The next version (aka 700 series) doesn't overwrite.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2017, 09:48:27 pm »
Oh right - thanks Bob  :D  So it looks like I'm doing the right thing then :)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2017, 08:34:54 pm »
Bad weather is slowing the Bear right up as it gets caught in a very deep pressure trough  :o
26th August 1914 

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »
Looks unpleasant.  :(

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2017, 08:58:50 pm »
Bear 27th August 1914.

I've made a transcriber's comment:

<time>4AM to 8AM</time><type>Transcriber Comment</type><subtype></subtype><text>Inference that there was heavy ice in the vicinity of the Bear since 24th August 1914, although not specifically referred to in the log entries of the 26th August 1914</text>

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2017, 09:19:47 pm »
There are probably as many ways to handle that as there are transcribers ;)

I would be inclined to transcribe the whole text from "Continued bad weather" to "from making landing" with a type of Sea Ice to be sure Philip and Kevin catch it :-\

Should Transcriber Comment have a subtype of Sea Ice? :-\ :-\
(Of course, you can always type that in as the subtype :-\ :-\ :-\)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:22:32 pm by Randi »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2017, 11:31:34 pm »
Thanks Randi  :D

I did also enter it as an ice comment:
<event><time>4AM to 8AM</time><type>Sea Ice</type><subtype></subtype><text>Continued bad weather with fog and snow since arrival of vessel off Wrangel Island, 24th instant, and heavy ice in vicinity of Wrangel and Herald Islands prevented Bear from making landing;</text></event>

Do you think it was worth bothering with the additional transcriber's comment please?  :)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2017, 11:44:18 pm »
Bear 14th September 1914

Another expedition problem to solve :(

Purchased from C.P. Goggin, Nome Alaska, 3 mattresses felt and 2 mattresses straw, for use survivors Canadian Arctic Expedition

Which led me to find an article about the Canadian Arctic Expedition which ran from 1913 to 1918 and the sinking of its principle ship The Karluk which led to the Bear preparing to find survivors:

(p.s. We've heard mention of the Karluk (an ex-whaler) in lists of whaling ships in port recorded by other whalers whose logs we've transcribed)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:41:19 pm by AvastMH »