Author Topic: Arctic Frontier - Where were these ships?  (Read 785 times)

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Phase one - Arctic Frontier
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »
Northland 1935 complete

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Phase One - Arctic Frontier
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »
I just pulled 'Under the Black Ensign' off the shelf by Capt. RS Gwatkin-Williams only to (re)discover a map showing the line of the edge of the midsummer ice from 1917 north of the Murman Coast. I'll scan it tomorrow and post it here for interest. There's also the odd picture in there too including one of the Iphegenia.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:12 pm »
I wonder if this is of any use?
It's the:
Map Shewing Prinicpal Naval Actions and Casualties. Murman Coast 1916-1917 from the book 'Under the Black Ensign' by Captain R.S. Gwatkin-Williams C.M.G. Royal Navy

(Captain of the Intrepid amongst other names)

This image is available at 3 times the size...it's almost A3 in the book (large format: http://i.imgur.com/8r5ySVp.jpg)

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 09:18:03 pm »
Its great to see so much progress on Ice Hunters. I've been under the deadline horizon for a paper on our autonomous systems experiment in the Chukchi Sea, but this is now in the hands of editors and peer-reviewers, and now I will have some time to work on the accumulated Bear material. Michael has sent me now Bear 1900-1903 and 1913-1926. I'm also (still) planning to update the oldweather.org website, which I hope to get to in the next two weeks.

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 09:26:06 pm »
Also, Philip has run a search on OW-3 and produced a list of ship ice reports. These will need to be sorted on latitude and otherwise cleaned of reports of ice [cream] and pol [ice], but will result in an inventory to work from for the odd ships that aren't known for principally operating in the Arctic. 

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 09:36:31 pm »
Its great to see so much progress on Ice Hunters.* I've been under the deadline horizon for a paper on our autonomous systems experiment in the Chukchi Sea, but this is now in the hands of editors and peer-reviewers, and now I will have some time to work on the accumulated Bear material.** Michael has sent me now Bear 1900-1903 and 1913-1926.*** I'm also (still) planning to update the oldweather.org website, which I hope to get to in the next two weeks.****

* :)   ** :D    *** :D     **** :o ;D

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 09:40:13 pm »
Also, Philip has run a search on OW-3 and produced a list of ship ice reports. These will need to be sorted on latitude and otherwise cleaned of reports of ice [cream] and pol [ice], but will result in an inventory to work from for the odd ships that aren't known for principally operating in the Arctic.

It sounds like we are doing a good job hunting down the start of locating ice-edges Kevin. That's good news :)

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 02:48:59 pm »

I think I can save you some time on trawling through U.S.S. Yorktown logs.
Till about three quarters of her journey, that is.
Having fully transcribed every page from June 1889 up to and including September 1907, and the logs for 1916, I can give you a very detailed summary of sea ice.

Sea ice: none. :)