Author Topic: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges  (Read 1806 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 11:45:15 am »

Try it out now at https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/simexp/brain-match and give us your feedback via this form https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdypJGA0WP5T22EfWjW9q3wji4mQrZeuya0gvpBhHxZh8OosQ/viewform (which you can also reach by clicking the link on the project itself).

Nice project - you do need to concentrate on what you are doing - the differences can be subtle between images. :)

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:59 pm »
I tried it from the e-mail and found the blinking images so unpleasant that I closed it down. Pity because the aims are laudable.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 01:47:57 pm »
Hope you gave them feedback ;)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 03:14:01 pm »
Arizona BatWatch Needs your help!

Hi there,

Almost five thousand brand new videos have been uploaded to Arizona BatWatch and we really need your help to search through them!

Based on feedback from our amazing volunteers, the videos have been shortened from 20 seconds to 10 seconds, so it's now easier to take part than ever before. 

If everyone reading this email analyses just one video we would finish the current data set in a matter of days! I bet you can do more than just one...

Prove me right at www.arizonabatwatch.org.

Cheers,

Grant & the Zooniverse Team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 05:50:35 pm »
New Galaxy Zoo Project

Hi there,

We need your help to test a potential new galaxy project - Galaxy Bars

Jesse is a summer student at the University of Oxford, and he has put together a test project for Galaxy Zoo. This project focuses on galaxies with bars and other features; while previous versions of Galaxy Zoo found plenty, we think there are still more to dig out. If the results from this test project are successful, it will be re-released with over 30,000 galaxies.

Jesse needs as many classifications as he can get, so please try it out now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/jessemd/galaxy-bars and give us your feedback via this form https://goo.gl/forms/8BoGaF7ELbMnxPwb2 (which you can also reach by clicking the link on the project itself).

Thanks for your help!

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2017, 04:25:20 pm »
Please help us test a new climate project

Hi there,

We need your help to test a potential new biomedical [sic] project - Weather Rescue

The team behind this project need your help to unearth Victorian weather records from the United Kingdom's highest mountain, Ben Nevis. 

Unearthing and digitising historic weather records will help build a legacy of environmental information, contribute to new discoveries and unlock answers to questions about our weather and changing climate. Without your help, information about weather and climate collected by generations before us will remain undiscovered.

Try it out now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/edh/weather-rescue and give us your feedback via this form https://goo.gl/forms/rsaJt8G71phoNaqu1 (which you can also reach by clicking the link on the project itself).

Your feedback is pivotal when deciding what changes need to be made to these projects, and whether they should be officially launched on the Zooniverse.

Thanks for all your help!

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2017, 04:58:08 pm »
Oh, my. This one really needs a spreadsheet overlay.  ;)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2017, 06:04:53 pm »
Oh, my. This one really needs a spreadsheet overlay.  ;)

Indeed!

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2017, 09:58:22 pm »
Agreed - and with that tiny result text I thought I'd end up with a headache fairly quickly. I commented on that in the feedback. But you can copy the results and paste them into , e.g., notepad to see them at about Times font 12 if the project cannot increase that font.

Entering 16 hyphens in one go had me working hard :D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 06:19:06 pm »
52 new discoveries!

Hi there,

I managed to get the large batch of classifications processed from two weeks ago and there were 52 new supernova discoveries! Thanks everyone for your help. Last week we uploaded another large batch of data, which hasn't been completely classified yet, but we're getting there. Keep up the great work.

This week we luckily only have a small batch of new data with 2000 subjects.  

Get hunting right now for supernovae at www.zooniverse.org/projects/dwright04/supernova-hunters

Happy hunting!

Darryl and the Supernova Hunters Team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2017, 04:20:36 pm »
Help us test a new wildlife project

Hi there,

We need your help to test a potential new wildlife project - Snapshot Somkhanda

Hundreds of camera traps spread across southern Africa are providing a powerful window into the dynamics of Africa's most elusive wildlife species. We need your help to classify all the different animals caught in millions of camera trap images.

These camera images come from Somkhanda Game Reserve in South Africa. This reserve is home to priority species such as African wild dog, rhinoceros, vultures, hyenas, and leopards. The Somkhanda Game Reserve is situated within a Key Biodiversity Area. The site is also located along a very important biodiversity corridor and improving the area will lead to the realization of these corridors and the creation of mega reserves.

Try it out now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/meredithspalmer/snapshot-somkhanda and give us your feedback via this form https://goo.gl/forms/M1W5EdII10tzO8n23 (which you can also reach by clicking the link on the project itself).

Your feedback is pivotal when deciding what changes need to be made to these projects, and whether they should be officially launched on the Zooniverse.

Thanks for all your help!

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2017, 05:15:50 pm »
New Official Zooniverse Project - Steelpan Vibrations

Hi there,

I'm delighted to let you know about the launch of our latest official project - Steelpan Vibrations

Researchers at Joliet Junior College in the United States need your help to understand how the distinct and beautiful sound of the Caribbean steelpan is formed. They have maps of the vibration of steelpans taken with a high speed camera at 30,000 frames per second, and they need your help to map the data!

Get involved right now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/achmorrison/steelpan-vibrations

Cheers,

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2017, 08:22:28 am »
UK residents may have noticed in the media today a new weather records project: Weather Rescue.
BBC News article

There are no ships involved.  ;)

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2017, 09:45:51 am »
It's the one we beta tested a while ago but they did mention in the BBC article that there were lots of Naval Logs which contain useful weather data. The thought did come to me about left hands & right hands so do the new brooms in the Met Office know about us because with the right interface COUNT ME IN.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2017, 03:17:08 pm »
That's a good interface for that data.

Too bad they don't have a proper forum.
(Of course, there isn't that much to talk about)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:33:57 pm by Randi »