Author Topic: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges  (Read 1852 times)

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2017, 06:28:28 pm »
I also took note of that statement: "The Royal Navy, for example, has a colossal archive of hand-written logbooks that will need to be transferred to digital form at some point."  Count me in, too!  Even if they don't need the events transcribed, we can still read them!

I did a couple of pages of the Ben Nevis records. I agree that it's a well-designed interface, but I would get bored quite quickly since there is no equivalent of "lost overboard by an idiot".

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2017, 06:34:30 pm »
UK residents may have noticed in the media today a new weather records project: Weather Rescue.
BBC News article

There are no ships involved.  ;)

But it mentions that they did have a pet cat up there ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2017, 06:37:59 pm »
I also took note of that statement: "The Royal Navy, for example, has a colossal archive of hand-written logbooks that will need to be transferred to digital form at some point."  Count me in, too!  Even if they don't need the events transcribed, we can still read them!

I did a couple of pages of the Ben Nevis records. I agree that it's a well-designed interface, but I would get bored quite quickly since there is no equivalent of "lost overboard by an idiot".

I agree - 'lost down a mountain by an idiot' doesn't have quite the same ring of intrigue/laughability about it  ;) :D

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2017, 09:11:57 pm »
I read a biography of a Scottish Mountain Rescue Team Leader and 'idiot lost on mountain' sums up some of their rescues. Incidentally, if it happens to you, not likely I know, but he did say that if mobile phone reception is poor then a text message, preferably repeated, is much more likely to get through than voice. I hope this is useless information to everyone but if you need it then ...

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2017, 09:32:18 pm »
It's the one we beta tested a while ago but they did mention in the BBC article that there were lots of Naval Logs which contain useful weather data. The thought did come to me about left hands & right hands so do the new brooms in the Met Office know about us because with the right interface COUNT ME IN.

To me obs from the same place would end up like the Albatross 1900 Off Sausalito, or a Mare Island California.  :(

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2017, 01:26:19 am »
To me obs from the same place would end up like the Albatross 1900 Off Sausalito, or a Mare Island California.  :(
... and unlike Concord ::)

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2017, 02:17:28 am »
 :o
Randi, how could you say that.  ;)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2017, 02:31:53 am »
Here is the official announcement ;D

New Project - Weather Rescue

Hi there,

We have a brand new project that really needs your help - Weather Rescue

The researchers behind this project need you to unearth Victorian weather records from the United Kingdom's highest mountain, Ben Nevis. 

Unearthing and digitising historic weather records will help build a legacy of environmental information, contribute to new discoveries and unlock answers to questions about our weather and changing climate. Without your help, information about weather and climate collected by generations before us will remain undiscovered.

Get involved right now at www.weatherrescue.org.

Thanks for all the amazing work you do for the Zooniverse!

Grant & the Zooniverse Team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:28 pm »
Help those affected by Hurricane Irma

Hi there,

The Zooniverse has been asked to enable The Planetary Response Network in response to Hurricane Irma, and now we need your help with rescue efforts in the Caribbean.

Hurricane Irma has brought large-scale destruction to many islands over the last few days, and now Hurricane Jose is a growing threat in the same region. 

By analysing satellite images of the stricken areas you can provide invaluable assistance to rescue workers in the Caribbean. Rescue Global are a UK-based disaster risk reduction and response charity who are deploying a team to the Caribbean and will use the information you provide to help them assess the situation on the ground.

Right now we have limited images of the area, but we are working hard to get more as soon as possible, so please keep a close eye on the project even if it runs out of data fast.

Join the effort right now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/vrooje/planetary-response-network-and-rescue-global-caribbean-storms-2017.

Thanks,

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 06:20:56 pm »
The Hurricane Irma images are complete already.
More are on the way.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2017, 11:26:33 pm »
Thy seem to have arrived...

Subject set #2 is up! Please help classify. Thank you!

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2017, 02:31:54 pm »
All done. More tomorrow. :o

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2017, 10:43:50 pm »
All done. More tomorrow. :o

Heroic - many hands make light work. I'm so glad that the Zooniverse can help with these events :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2017, 02:06:14 am »
UPDATE

Hurricane Irma Relief Project - Your help is needed right now!

Hi there,

The Zooniverse relaunched The Planetary Response Network yesterday in response to Hurricane Irma and rescue efforts in the Caribbean. We've now uploaded a third set of images with much higher resolution, and we need your help to go through them as quickly as possible.

Hurricane Irma has brought large-scale destruction to many islands over the last few days. By analysing satellite images of the stricken areas you can provide invaluable assistance to rescue workers in the Caribbean. Rescue Global are a UK-based disaster risk reduction and response charity who are deploying a team to the Caribbean and will use the information you provide to help them assess the situation on the ground.

Note: we've set up two workflows, one where you can quickly remove unclassifiable images from the subject set and the other to tag classifiable images with areas of need. We've also fixed the issue with the zoom tool.

Please continue to keep a close eye on the project after classifications are complete. We'll keep adding more images as they become available over more of the region.

Join the effort now at www.planetaryresponsenetwork.org.

Thanks,

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2017, 03:25:46 am »
I did some comparisons (maybe 100 or so) then they started to come up with Finished across the corner.
What is happening?

Back to Tomnod to do the same thing till I get an answer.