Author Topic: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges  (Read 1358 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2017, 04:45:34 pm »
Transcription Challenge

Hi there,

100 years ago in late 1917 the New Zealand troops were engaged in some of the bloodiest battles on the Western Front at Ypres and Passchendaele. On 12 October 1917 New Zealand forces suffered 3700 casualties in the attack at Passchendaele, New Zealand's darkest day for military casualties. 

With your help we are remembering the stories and lives of those who served on the Western Front and beyond. Also, today is our 2nd birthday! Lets celebrate by renewing our commitment to telling the stories of these soldiers. 

Our progress has slowed a bit over the summer, so we're issuing another Measuring the ANZACs Challenge. Help us transcribe 100,000 fields in the next four weeks to mark the centenary of the battle at Passchendaele. In April volunteers rose to our challenge of transcribing 100,000 fields to mark Anzac Day. Lets do it again!

Rise to the challenge at www.measuringtheanzacs.org.

With our thanks for all your contributions,

Evan Roberts & the Measuring the ANZACs Team

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2017, 08:53:20 pm »
We need your help to test a potential new marine biology project - Seagrass Explorer

Had a go - very simple - and rather depressing seeing the seagrass struggle  :-[ :'(

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2017, 03:24:30 pm »
Supernova Hunters - Project Update

Hi there,

It has been a few weeks since I sent out a Supernova Hunters e-mail. I'm sorry it has taken so long to update you all. There have been a couple of problems with the project recently which I have been trying to fix. First the mechanism I use to retrieve Astronomical Transient (AT) names from the Transient Name Server no longer works. This means that although we are submitting your discoveries I have no way to automatically retrieve the corresponding AT names to update the project results page. I have not had the time to do this manually for the back log of discoveries, but I am working on a new automated solution that will help clear the back log.

Second, thanks to all of you who flagged the large number of misalignments in recent batches of data. In particular the emergence of misalignments where the target and reference images bear no resemblance to each other. These are the reason why recent batches of data for you to classify have been so large. Before I had realised misalignments were the cause I had tried raising the machine threshold to reduce the number subjects to be uploaded and this explains why many of you noticed that some data sets were mostly misalignments or real detections. The misalignment problem has gotten so bad that it is not reasonable to continue to ask you to classify the large quantities of subjects caused by them. I have been working on a method to discard these automatically, but it is taking some time to build and test. I hope to find the time to get it ready to deploy in time for next week's data upload.

Finally, I am also working on deploying the approach from the Supernova Hunters' paper on the live classification stream so we can extract your discoveries in real time. This is also taking some additional coding and testing but should be ready to go live soon.

In the meantime I have uploaded a new batch of 7000 subjects to the project. I suspect that this batch again contains many misalignments but it would be a great help to me if you could let me know in Talk or by tagging subjects if this is what you see.  It will also be helpful to find the real detections among these subjects while I continue working on the solutions above.

Get hunting right now for supernovae at www.zooniverse.org/projects/dwright04/supernova-hunters

Happy hunting!

Darryl and the Supernova Hunters Team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2017, 04:23:18 pm »
Can you help us test a new project?

Hi there,

We need your help to test a potential new wildlife project - Cheetahs of Central Namibia

Ecologists and volunteers from the Cheetah Conservation Fund (CCF) gather information about the populations of carnivores and other wildlife in central Namibia. CCF is a charter member of a wildlife preservation area called the Greater Waterberg Landscape, consisting of over 19,000 square kilometers. This is a mixed woodland/grassland ecosystem with predators such as cheetah, leopard, and wild dogs and plenty of prey species. There are also over 25,000 humans, which means that human/wildlife conflict and hunting pressure are ever-present concerns.

It is vital to study and understand this ecosystem. The contents of the photos from the camera traps will answer key questions such as:
what predators and prey species are present?
what are the relative population densities of each species?
how do their densities and movements vary according to wet season / dry season?
do the predators move in relation to human ranching activity?
Try it out now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/danberinger/cheetahs-of-central-namibia and give us your feedback via this form https://goo.gl/forms/V9jyafU13TiP9qxg2 (which you can also reach by clicking the link on the project itself).

Your feedback is pivotal when deciding what changes need to be made to these projects, and whether they should be officially launched on the Zooniverse.

Thanks for all your help!

Grant & the Zooniverse Team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2017, 05:39:36 pm »
Please help us test a new wildlife project today

Hi there,

The people who brought you Penguin Watch have a brand new project - Seabird Watch - and we need your help to review it!

In general, the world's seabirds are in decline, but it's not as simple as that. Actually, many colonies are doing well in some areas, but poorly in others. There are big, technical difficulties in studying seabird colonies and so we have historically had insufficient data to effect change. However, if we can monitor many more colonies and analyze the data rapidly, we can demonstrate which threats are important and encourage policy makers to act.

This is the second round of testing for Seabird Watch, so don't worry if you have seen it before. it has changed significantly and we need your feedback on the new version.

This project has been built by the researchers themselves, using the Zooniverse Project Builder, so we need your help making sure it's up to the standards of an official Zooniverse project. Try it out now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/penguintom79/seabirdwatch and give us your feedback via this form https://goo.gl/forms/9pyYEczzRtKTdecm2 (which you can also reach by clicking the link on the project itself).

Thanks for your help!

Grant and the Zooniverse Team

Grant & the Zooniverse Team

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:01 pm »
Better do this one then!  ::)  ;)

Looks quite good now- a few questions rolling in already - and we have two scientists which should really help with any odd questions. Tom's already on his way to the summer down south :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:13:41 pm by AvastMH »