Author Topic: Ice reports from Whaling logs  (Read 133 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ice reports from Whaling logs
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:07:48 pm »
I've found some interesting ice reports in the current logs. Some have good reports of location.

Kevin, would you like an indication of those reports please?  For example: a page from Belvedere 1904 (lamentably only 14 pages long - is that correct I wonder?)
https://panoptes-uploads.zooniverse.org/production/subject_location/80d116b5-76a9-49af-a18a-2cd15c076023.jpeg reads like this:

The writer is clearly thoughtful about the ice and even provides the location.
It would be easy enough to preen through these logs to look for this sort of ice indication.

I'll pm this to you as well.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ice reports from Whaling logs
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:15:39 pm »
Ah! That was a good idea Randi :D

My hopes with this one were slightly dampened when the pages contain the odd date when Tilton thinks that something interesting happened.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:17:30 pm by AvastMH »

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:40:51 pm »
I hope to process the whaling logs (starting 1900-1912) the same way we are doing with the federal logs - that is locate the ice, re-navigate from piloting or DR, then review/complete extracted obs as we have been doing. The navigation with the whaling logs will be a bit more uncertain in comparison to the federal ones I expect.

As an aside - I have the digital microfilm of the PPL logs here and can put them on a google drive if desired. New Bedford Whaling museum logs are on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/newbedfordwhalingmuseum?sort=titleSorter&and[]=firstTitle:A

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 12:14:09 am »
As an aside - I have the digital microfilm of the PPL logs here and can put them on a google drive if desired.
Thanks, Kevin. I think it would be very helpful to be able to access them directly.
I tried the Providence Public Library site, but I did not have any luck finding log book images - at least not for Belvedere 1904 :-\

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:30:41 am »
This link brings up the log collection in a thumbnail grid:

https://archive.org/details/newbedfordwhalingmuseum?&sort=titleSorter

If you click a log to open it in view mode there's a Download Options menu. The 'SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED JP2 ZIP' option downloads the entire log book image set in a single Zip file. The other format options probably do the same (I checked the PDF option, but not others).