Author Topic: Using the Tracker for Ice Hunting (Provisional)  (Read 70 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Using the Tracker for Ice Hunting (Provisional)
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:27:58 am »
Note that the instructions below list which log entries should be transcribed.
For information on how to transcribe, see the Ice Hunting Guide

The Tracker is designed for both traditional OW transcribing and for Ice Hunting.
Consequently, some fields and completion markers will not apply during the Ice Hunting phase.

For Ice Hunting, only the tabs with the green stripe need to be done and only one transcription is required per page.
You can use the links in the URL column to look at the page and decide if you want to do it.
To claim a page or block of pages, simply enter your forum name in the Stream 4 column.

If the page contains neither weather nor events, there is no need to transcribe anything or to upload the page. However, it would be helpful it you entered a brief note in the Comments column (e.g., Blank, List of Officers, Instructions).

Weather and Events in separate images (Burton Island)

When the entire day is spent in the same location

• For the weather page enter:
    After you upload the page fill in the appropriate completion markers: D if there was a date, L if there was a location, and I if ice was mentioned.
  • It is generally not necessary to transcribe or upload the events page.
    Just type No Ice in the comment column so that other transcribers know the page has been processed.
    However, there are two cases where the events page should be uploaded:
    • If there was no date on the weather page, enter the date from the events page and fill in the date completion marker (D)
    • If ice is mentioned, transcribe the ice mention and fill in the ice completion marker (I)

When at least part of the day is spent at sea

• For the weather page enter:
    After you upload the page fill in the appropriate completion markers: D if there was a date, L if there were locations, C if course and distance were recorded, and I if ice was mentioned.
  • For the events page when no ice is mentioned:
    It is generally not necessary to transcribe or upload the events page.
    Just type No Ice in the comment column so that other transcribers know the page has been processed.
    However, there are two cases where the events page should be uploaded:
    • If there was no date on the weather page, enter the date from the events page and fill in the date completion marker (D)
    • It would be very helpful in plotting the ship's positions if mentions of the ship stopping or getting underway were transcribed (short pauses can be ignored).
      If you do so, fill in the sailing information completion marker (S)
  • For the events page when ice is mentioned enter:
    After you upload the page fill in the appropriate completion markers: D if there was a date, L if there were locations, I for ice, and S if sailing information was transcribed.

Weather and Events in one image (Storis)

When the entire day is spent in the same location

Enter:
After you upload the page fill in the appropriate completion markers: D if there was a date, L if there was a location, and I if ice was mentioned.

When at least part of the day is spent at sea

Enter:
After you upload the page fill in the appropriate completion markers: D if there was a date, L if there were locations, C if course and distance were recorded, I if ice was mentioned, and S if sailing information was recorded.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:42:39 pm by Randi »