Author Topic: Ask Questions Here  (Read 402 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Questions Here
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 09:27:41 pm »
I think they simply used the "By Log" column as a convenient place to post the note since the gyro has (as far as I know) nothing to do with the log.

Definitely transcribe the the "By Revs" column for all the rows.

You could also transcribe the notes in the "By Log" column where they appear and/or add a Transcriber comment (in the blue box at the bottom) with the Note: 10 E Error in Gyro.

Michael?

Update

Quote from: Michael
I don't want or need any of the comments in the By Log column. When they are in icy waters they pull the log out of the water. I have also seen ANCHORED typed in that column. We know she's anchored, because it says so in the events. If the main gyro is out, they just switch to another one: PGTC. Again, who cares. Not me.  ;)

So if numbers in By Log, I want them. If no numbers there, then the Numbers in the By Rev column.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:16:22 am by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 09:36:22 pm »
He has asked us to include the synoptic locations: "If the log page includes a synoptic observations table, the locations in that table should be transcribed.".

What format should we use to input the locations on the right side of the page, (in the Current data and position between fixes sections)

Image in question
The trouble with those, especially with your example, is that I have no idea about the times of these positions are. Not only that, but the one between 8 AM and Noon shows the Lat as 68 02N. Obviously that is wrong, but so is 58 02N. If we assume it was his 10 AM position, we would have gone South 102 miles in two hours, and then an even larger distance north to his noon position. Perhaps it is his 10 AM position and it should be 60 02N. That's roughly halfway in between his 8 AM and Noon positions of 59 44N and 60 16N. If someone, perhaps Kevin, could ensure that is a 10 AM position, then I would be happy to use it.

Rather than lose the data, perhaps you could code it as the 2400, 1000 and 1600 positions until we hear otherwise.

I will copy this note to Kevin.

How about this page? ::) ;D
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/12104666/content/arcmedia/dc-metro/594258-navy-deck-logs/00003/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07-0040.jpg

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:38:47 pm »
There is a Sea Ice mention split over two pages:
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/12103640/content/arcmedia/dc-metro/594258-navy-deck-logs/00003/burton-island-agb-1-1954-05/burton-island-agb-1-1954-05-0022.jpg
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/12103640/content/arcmedia/dc-metro/594258-navy-deck-logs/00003/burton-island-agb-1-1954-05/burton-island-agb-1-1954-05-0023.jpg

I transcribed the whole thing in the first page (22). For the second page, I only transcribed the date, but I added a note to the tracker about the split text.
Is this OK? I haven't uploaded the files yet.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 09:52:06 pm »
Tricky :-\
I lean towards TWYS, but I will let Michael decide which system would work best for him.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 10:52:36 pm »
Tricky :-\
I lean towards TWYS, but I will let Michael decide which system would work best for him.

Yes, that works for me. With the date on the second page, that URL will come up in my spreadsheet. If you added the info on the second page as a separate entry, because it's on another page, you would still have to enter the same time (2300), so my spreadsheet would get something like this:

2300: Maneuvering through scattered ice. 2300: floes to approximate base course.

(My conversion script adds a period to the first entry, the second time followed by a colon and then the next entry.) If you did that, I would just have to delete the period and the 2300:, and then I would sigh, and sigh and sigh...  ;D

Just to make sure, I'm sure you're not entering all the other stuff like:

Underway from King Island for Cape Prince of Wales in accordance with COMSERVRON ONE Operation Order 1-54. Maneuvering to clear shore ice.

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 11:07:46 pm »
No, I'm not entering the other stuff.
My entry for this one is:

<event><time>2300</time><type>Sea Ice</type><text>Maneuvering through scattered ice floes to approximate base course.</text></event>

Since it works for Michael (and it sounds like it's also the best option for him), I will leave it like this.

For sea ice, I transcribe everything relevant, including course and location info, and I try to be as accurate with the time as possible.
Examples:

<event><time>2000</time><type>Sea Ice</type><text>Laying to, nosed into short-fast ice south of Univok Village, King Island.</text></event>
<event><time>Noon to 4PM</time><type>Sea Ice</type><text>Maneuvering at various courses and speeds through ice pack.</text></event>
<event><time>6PM to 8PM</time><type>Sea Ice</type><text>Maneuvering through close pack and field ice on base course 263T, 245pstgc, 245 psc.</text></event>

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 11:25:42 pm »
<event><time>2300</time><type>Sea Ice</type><text>Maneuvering through scattered ice floes to approximate base course.</text></event>

Since it works for Michael (and it sounds like it's also the best option for him), I will leave it like this.

Sounds good.
I hadn't thought about having to add the time from the previous page :o :-[

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 11:44:12 pm »

I didn't - I transcribed it all on the first page, which is number 22.
On the second page, number 23, I only transcribed the date.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 11:55:07 pm »

I didn't - I transcribed it all on the first page, which is number 22.
On the second page, number 23, I only transcribed the date.

That was my point ;D
Your way is better because with TWYS you would have a timeless report on the second page or you would have to violate TWYS and add a date that wasn't on the page.

Note that for Ice Hunting, if there is no useful information on the Events page other than the date and the date is on the Weather page, you do not need to upload the Events page - just enter No Ice in the comment column.

https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/12104666/content/arcmedia/dc-metro/594258-navy-deck-logs/00003/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07-0008.jpg   Randi   DL   
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/12104666/content/arcmedia/dc-metro/594258-navy-deck-logs/00003/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07-0009.jpg   Randi      No Ice
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/12104666/content/arcmedia/dc-metro/594258-navy-deck-logs/00003/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07-0010.jpg   Randi   DL   
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/12104666/content/arcmedia/dc-metro/594258-navy-deck-logs/00003/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07/burton-island-agb-1-1955-07-0011.jpg   Randi      No Ice

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 12:01:30 am »

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 07:56:11 pm »
Is it possible to fix the uploader (currently I am only using the Burton files) so that it does NOT write to MY Google drive.
I find it annoying to have to keep going there and deleting them.

Do not know if that problem applies to all vessels.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:58:37 pm by Pommy Stuart »

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 08:15:53 pm »
Is it possible to fix the uploader (currently I am only using the Burton files) so that it does NOT write to MY Google drive.

Interesting. The XML files don't appear on my drive. (I just checked.) I'm not sure why they appear on yours.

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 12:52:04 am »
This is an admittedly annoying feature of the Google Forms upload tool. I'm looking into how to avoid it, if that's possible.

Joke Slayer

• Beta Testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:47 pm »
Just a quick point on pages with synoptic observations

Currently we are required to transcribe the first 5 columns with the exception of Day of the week (though I think it might be better to include that to avoid confusion and enterting the wrong column, which i might have done a couple of times)

On a few pages I have noticed that they have not entered the Zone Time of Synoptic Observation, however they have entered the Time GCT (Greenwich Civilian Time I believe) which is the 6th column.

Sshould we change the instructions so that we have to include the first 6 columns on future voyages so that we can provide a time when no time zone is entered, and in places where it is entered can provide timezone information.

If we do do this it might also be worth requiring to add a "-" or something for columns that have not been filled in, this isn't TWYS, but might avoid confusion, if having a table to input the data to is not feasible.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 06:26:24 pm »
That is fine by me.

Michael - if you agree, I will update the Guide.

I also see that my sample transcription was not for the marked page :o :-[
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:30:03 pm by Randi »