Author Topic: The Shipyard (Post pics of and info about the ships here)  (Read 34464 times)

CHommel

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: The Shipyard (Post pics of and info about the ships here)
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 11:14:47 pm »
Further to my last post did you read this?

http://www.jjhc.info/HeathCaldwellCuthbert1979.htm

It is part of the same family history site. Heath Caldwell was for a time captain of Miner. It mentions many of the other ships that were active in the Mesopotamia campaign including Espiegle, Dalhousie, Masoudi and Greyfly, all of which you will meet on Odin.

A really fascinating and under mentioned part of WW1

K

How interesting!  How on earth did you find this?

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 07:53:32 pm »
All I did was click on the links under the photo of HMS Miner that the link in Geoff's post takes you to. I then rooted about in that family history site.

Geoff did the hard work finding the picture of Miner.

K

Geoff

• Shipherd
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 08:44:56 am »
I simply googled "HMS Miner" and looked through the responses  :)

John Moscow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 01:01:09 pm »
My maternal grandfather, John Edward Loveluck, was 1st officer on HMS Manica at Gallipoli in 1915 and off E Africa 1916-17.  She was a cargo ship & had returned to London from Sydney Oz in March 1915.  She was taken over by the admiralty and converted to be the first balloon ship and within 3 weeks sent off to Gallipoli.  She was off ANZAC cove for the dawn landings on 25 April 1915.  There were 1 or 2 observers in the basket under the balloon which was attached by a wire rope to the ship.  The obervers had binoculars & telephone and gave instructions to the battle ships with detailed information on targets out of sight of both the allied warships & the soldiers ashore.  The spotters could see where the shells landed and could tell the warships how close they were to the target.  Usually 3 shots and the poor Turkish soldiers/guns/ships were blown to bits.  As a result of the success 2 other ballon ships were converted and sent to Gallipoli.  Manica returned to UK for a refit in Sep 1915.  She had had several close encounters with disaster, but remained unscathed.  With the Gallipoli disaster over, Manica was sent via Suez to E Africa in Feb 1916.  In May 1917 she left her balloon etc and the air crew at Port Said and was then sent to Bombay to be sold.  The naval crew then had to make their way home.  All returned to civvy st except JEL who was to be master of 3 more ships before his war ended in Jan 1920.  His ship from Jan 1918-May 1919 was HMS Waterwitch, which was at Gallipoli ferrying soldiers (Google KSY waterwitch) was returned to Turkey in 1923, used as a ferry around Istanbul for 65 years, converted into a luxury motor (ie diesels instead of steam engines) yacht "Halas" (I had a holiday on her in 2007) and is the only RN ship from Gallipoli afloat - M33 is at Portsmouth.  I have several old photos of Manica and crew, some of which can be found on www. 
There are no logs like these on oldweather for 1915 covering the period Manica was at Gallipoli, and it seems those for 1917 have not been scanned for oldweather.  There are no log books whatever for HMS Waterwitch at the National Archives.  A whole album of photos of Manica & her balloon off E Africa was sold by auction a few years ago.  Others are in the IWM and various other inaccessible or vastly expensive locations.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 04:04:25 pm »
John,
That's remarkable; thanks for the posting. I hadn't considered the possibility that we should have such a connection; and that you should have re-established a link to your grandfather after nearly 90 years.

Manica got a lot of Konigsberg related mention on two ships that I have transcribed. From early March 1915 there is preparatory bombardment in the Dardanelles but no mention, yet, of Manica.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the most impressive first posting that I've seen.

Bunts

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 05:33:42 pm »
I am glad you have joined us John.
We are always pleased to meet someone with a family connection to the Old Weather ships.
It is possible that more of the Manica's logs will become available in the next phase of Old Weather,
when the logs of more ships, and additional logs for the ships we are already transcribing, become available.
Let's hope so.  :)

John Moscow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 12:30:45 am »
Thanks for the welcome!  I am in Sydney Oz where my g-dau was born 17th April & managed to attend the sunset ceremony at the Cenotaph, wearing JEL's medals - free transport!  Normally I am in London - unless I'm off abroad in my 1927 R-R (usually with a caravan).  The avatar is at the summit of the Julier Pass in Switzerland on my way back from doing wedding duties for No2 son in Italy in 2009.
When my parents moved in 1988 after 36 years I found a box with hundreds of old unused postcards from most of the world as well as numerous old photos I had never seen.  I had a few photos before, such as the crew of Manica.
Here is a pic of GPa S Lt John Edward Loveluck taken April/May 1915 and annotated after news of the birth of my mother on 14 May 1915.

It was not all doom and gloom in the war.  There was time for "mateship":

This pic of the Manica Officers shows one such time.  JEL is 4th from right with a pipe, Lt DH Metcalfe is in the dark suit on the right, the 3rd from right looks like Bradley and the scary one on the left looks like the engineer!  Note the record player - & what is the pump?  Drinking water?

From the internet I got this small copy of the program for a Xmas show on the Manica in 1916.  I'll try & find any ref in the logs.

Must have boosted morale.  The officers don't seem to have had parts, but Biddulph was the surgeon.  There is more about him on www.
I tried the preview to see if the pics are in the right place, but they are not shown.  Nor can I find details of how to add pics.  I have read the insructions & tried again, but there is no button Post & clicking on the Insert image icon just marks the place!
I have now managed to add the pics, but they are just at the bottom & need clicking on to see.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:22:46 am by John Moscow »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:43 am »
Thank you so much for your stories - these ships and their men have come to feel very real and present for us, and this added background adds depth.

Re attaching pictures, you've got it right - attachments just never show in the previews.  If you click the "+" by "Attachments and other options" and check "Return to this topic", you will be able to proofread the post with attachments and then use "Modify" to make any changes.

Re inserting pictures, they must first be published on line so they have an URL free of any other page writing and stuff.  (Try right-click/Properties to get an URL.)  Just click the "Image" icon above and paste the URL inside the code.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:13:34 am by Janet Jaguar »

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:53 pm »
Great pictures John!
You can upload your pics to a photo-hosting website (Photobucket, TinyPic etc).
Then look for the forum link code for each pic: copy it, paste it here, Preview and Post.
All you need is the code. It will have [img][/img] tags at either end. Let us know if you need help.
We would love to see more.  :)

John Moscow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 12:32:18 am »
I have finally got the pics in place.  When I clicked on the IMG ref I got a message "Copied" - but no clue where to!  It did not occur to me that it was copied to the "pasteboard" - but when I did a paste into a blank Word doc I could see that's what happened!

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 07:05:52 pm »
In case you have wondered about your ship in dry dock, here's a photo of one in business:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/images/hmsdoon1.jpg

url instead of pic because of copyright notice. I'm not one to cause bother.

h.kohler

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2011, 09:52:30 pm »
Wow, you found a picture of a floating dock in activity.

It works like this: The ship docks in the middle and is hoisted. Once the work is done, the middle part of the dock is lowered and the ship sails away.

Do you know where this floating dock is and what ship might be on it?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 10:54:02 pm »
Thanks for showing us this, Bunts.  My ships have been in floating docks more than once, and I just couldn't really picture it.  This is cool. :)

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:17 pm »

Do you know where this floating dock is and what ship might be on it?

It's from the same, slow loading, site as the report on the semi-submersible HMS Dee:
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/river_class.htm#HMS%20doon
Click and wait ... all will be revealed, eventually.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 02:52:54 am »
Oh, Yeah!  This one shows the Intrepid (a 19th century protected cruiser) in the Bermuda dockyard.

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/bermuda.htm

The dock size is astonishing.