Author Topic: Becoming Captain & being discharged!!  (Read 1505 times)

amamdury

• View Profile
Becoming Captain & being discharged!!
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:57:34 am »
On Friday I finished enough weather reports on the Saxon (which was patrolling between Ilfracombe and Swansea) to be promoted to Captain and was then summarly dismissed, my last log was January 1918, my problem, I have a ships crew listing for my Uncle on the Saxon for June 20th 1918 arriving in New York from Liverpool, pleeease I really would like to do more logs for the Saxon.    I must admit to being confused how a trawler on patrol could make it to America because I believe although ships names were recycled this was only after one was decommisioned, any ideas?  :'(

chickeneyed

• View Profile
Re: Becoming Captain & being discharged!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:50:50 am »
If you go to the Home Page and click on "partners" [page bottom] it'll take you to a link to Naval History's site.There you'll find a list of all the ships in the project, along with log time spans for each ship.
HMS "Saxon" logs span the period from Sept. 1917 'til January 1918.Apparently she was returned to civilian service some time that year.
 Sorry to be a bearer of bad tidings.

amamdury

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:19:44 am »
Thanks chickeneyed, maybe Nat Archives is due a visit!! :-[

chickeneyed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:32:07 am »
Thanks chickeneyed, maybe Nat Archives is due a visit!! :-[
/
The following site site has passenger and crew lists for ships arriving at New York during that time,if that's any help to you. Check out item # T 715.
 http://www.archives.gov/digitization/digitized-by-partners.html

amamdury

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:51:20 am »
Thanks Chickeneyed, had found out Saxon did leave patrol and move on to be a troop ship, hence uncle's arrival in New York, oddly enough long before I met him my husband was doing the same in the second war on Queen Mary, my family just love dragging the poor yanks to Britain