Author Topic: HMS TBD Torch  (Read 18962 times)

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
Re: HMS Torch
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 02:11:04 am »
I wonder what his family was told; apart from the fact that he didn't suffer, obviously.

A couple of times, on one of the Monitors, rifles have been "discharged accidentally" during exercises, resulting in the end of the drill. (The Marines weren't involved in those exercises.)
Just lucky it wasn't one of the 6 inch guns?

Bunts

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 02:19:29 am »
They never named what he was shot with, and this ship never states what exercises they're doing so long as they don't move the whole ship.  So all that background will remain obscure until they unlock the Court of Inquiry records.

In a time a place of peace, it would be very hard to explain to the family.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 02:47:25 am »
On 1st May 1920, things got busy.  First time I've seen this, but the intro pages of the new log book listed a day on which the ship moved too fast for being economic and had to log using too much fuel per hour to be frugal.  They were in the Black Sea, rushing to Adler (south of Soci) 'to arrive at "Adler Pt. as early as possible to relieve HMS "Tobago" who had been ordered to Batoum.'

Then they acted as taxi when "The Atman" and staff boarded and they also went to Batoum.  And then HMS "Cardiff" and HMS "Royal Sovereign" also showed up at Batoum.  Which last proved helpful, when Torch lost an anchor and almost 2 shackles of cable and Royal Sovereign sent them a diving party to recover said anchor.

I googled what was going on, and there were treaty talks in Batoum that month that would eventually lead to the British withdrawing their forces from that city, Batoum being returned to Georgis as an autonomous region, and Armenia gaining independance.

Meaningful stuff, even if they didn't record any of the 'whys' in their logs.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:50:11 am by Janet Jaguar »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 03:58:39 am »
We just spent most of July 1920 in dock at Gibraltar getting a refit.  Headed straight home at Malta and the following day, 27th July 1920, broke our thermometer!  I have no idea how long it will be before we record temps again.

That had to be very irritating and embarassing timing! ;)

ADD-ON:  They got a new thermometer before noon on 6th August in Theodosia, Russia (now Feodosiya, Ukraine).  So we lost only 9 days of readings.  I noted also, they claimed that "thermometer" singular was broken, but the noon reading of sea temperature was also stopped during that period.  So, are they unmounting the same thermometer to drop into the sea once a day?  Then, how did they keep it whole this long - not breaking it earlier?  Strange.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:37:45 am by Janet Jaguar »

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »
JJ,

I googled what was going on, and there were treaty talks in Batoum that month that would eventually lead to the British withdrawing their forces from that city, Batoum being returned to Georgis as an autonomous region, and Armenia gaining independance.

Meaningful stuff, even if they didn't record any of the 'whys' in their logs.

The taxi driver needs to know "where" and "when" but not "why", even if he knows "why" he may not feel inclined to put it in his diary when there's political stuff involved.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 08:27:28 pm »
I know that, but that's why I love Wiki. ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 07:58:31 am »
One voyage on HMS Torch is finished - on 12th Sept. 1920, her crew was paid off but is "remaining on ship for the present."  We are at Malta, and have spent more time in dock in the last 2 months than ever before.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.  This new 2-month log book had its introductory page signed off for all of September and October by a different commanding officer, so I as transcriber, as well as the ship, am probably still in business.  I hope! :)

cyzaki

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 08:30:14 am »
It's good that they are still taking weather readings - when I was on a ship that was paid off all the equipment was gradually unshipped so there wasn't much to do on the last few days.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 08:42:20 am »
This is very far from this ship's last voyage.  Googling tell me she wasn't decommissioned and sold until 1929.  Which is a nice change from my Otter experience.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 08:55:38 am »
That was very fast!

On 13th September 1920 HMS Torch was recomissioned with all new crew.

That means very little downtime, as she had a very recent refit.  And we are back in business - with all new log-keepers and all new handwriting!!  I'm hoping for an improvement. ;)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 01:57:34 am »
Celebrate with me!!! :)  There are two changes in transcribing HMS Torch.

• I have created a list of the many ports we visit, giving me a reference document for all the scribbled place names that were difficult to read.
  • The entire crew from the captain down has been replaced.  This is the start of a second voyage, in the same place.  And this crew actually does Lat.Long. readings when we are at sea!!!

When I'm done with the whole voyage, I will post the finished list of places for the next 2 transcribers, so they will not have to work so hard.  This ship has always been a fun ship, for all the different places she goes too.  Taxi drivers and long-distance truckers never stay tied to a single port.  And now the stress will be way down.

Now all I need is to decifer my new captain's name.  I haven't been able to decipher it yet. ;D

ADD-ON Feb.3rd:  I found a clearer signature, finally.  I think our new captain is Lieut.Commander A.S.Libbey.  A nice piece of trivia, for Torch's current "captain". :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:33:58 pm by Janet Jaguar »

mutabilitie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 10:05:09 am »
Leroy, perhaps? Just cross your fingers that he'll be discharged to hospital at some point.;)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 06:57:07 am »
We have been on another rescue of refugees mission, in company with HMS Centaur and a "transport".  This one was also interesting.  We sailed from Constantinople to off Odessa, which must be largely in the hands of the Reds, since we never came near any harbour.

After waiting some, we took on a couple of boatloads - full enough to fill the transport and overflow onto Torch and Centaur - and turned over to the "small boat" six Red prisoners.  And then sailed back to Constantinople.  In port there, the log went from interesting back to uninformative - it doesn't even log disembarking the refugees, just refueling.  I know they left because we left again the next day for Sevestopal - for another 150 refugees.  It was an extremely busy 8 days.  The ninth one is their return to normality.  Hands that morning had nothing to do but "clean the ship". :)

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-007_0.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-007_1.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-008_0.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-008_1.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-009_0.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-009_1.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-010_0.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-010_1.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-63346/ADM%2053-63346-011_0.jpg
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:05:36 am by Janet Jaguar »

mutabilitie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 11:45:45 am »
ADD-ON Feb.3rd:  I found a clearer signature, finally.  I think our new captain is Lieut.Commander A.S.Libbey.  A nice piece of trivia, for Torch's current "captain". :)
Don't you think A.G. Lilley (i.e. the guy you mentioned earlier in this thread) is more likely, actually?;) It would match the clearer signature as well.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 11:51:43 am »
Unfortunately you may be right. :(  I've tried googling, but my Torch is not a famous or large ship with extensive records.  I'm still looking a signatures to see if I can get something definitive.

Don't you think A.G. Lilley (i.e. the guy you mentioned earlier in this thread) is more likely, actually?;) It would match the clearer signature as well.