Author Topic: General Questions  (Read 49879 times)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: General Questions
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 01:22:40 pm »
I have been putting Lat and Long in the same window if they are both DR or both Observed. I suppose they should go in different windows when we have DR, OBS or Obs, DR?

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 07:27:00 pm »
Good folk,
I'm usually good at putting in events - but I've not bothered with ups and downs of top sails, moonraker sails (there's just something so romantic about that name...sigh!) etc etc since I would presume that this is all fairly standard fodder..you sail a sail ship one way according to its sails and that's that...or have I just land-lubber goofed and should note the changes down to keep the historians out of trouble and off the streets?  :-\
Ofcourse putting them in the events might make me insane - but I see that's a subject of another thread.  ;D

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 07:32:15 pm »
I can't give you any sort of authoritative response, but I didn't include all the stuff about the sails either in the small amount of Phase 3 transcribing that I've done.  And if I later get to edit any of the histories, I wouldn't expect to include it there either (unless, of course, someone instructs me otherwise).

And as we are always told, all the Events stuff is optional.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 07:37:46 pm »
I have been putting Lat and Long in the same window if they are both DR or both Observed. I suppose they should go in different windows when we have DR, OBS or Obs, DR?
No one's asked that question before, because there were no such distinctions on the old interface.

My instinct says, they wouldn't have added that new field is it didn't matter, so the preferred form would be separate readings.  But if that is unwelcome forgotten, putting them together wouldn't be death to locating the ship on the weather map.

We need to wait on the team for a more definite answer.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 07:44:05 pm »
On a few pages I did mention some or all of the sail changes because they were fascinating and I thought others would enjoy getting a feel for what it was like.  However, I can't see doing it all the time. I'll probably mention them in the future only if it is something a bit unusual.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 07:48:17 pm »
Good folk,
I'm usually good at putting in events - but I've not bothered with ups and downs of top sails, moonraker sails (there's just something so romantic about that name...sigh!) etc etc since I would presume that this is all fairly standard fodder..you sail a sail ship one way according to its sails and that's that...or have I just land-lubber goofed and should note the changes down to keep the historians out of trouble and off the streets?  :-\
Ofcourse putting them in the events might make me insane - but I see that's a subject of another thread.  ;D

The standing recommendation from the beginning of OW is, comments about on-board life is fine if you are really interested, but no one involved is interested at this time.  Which says nothing about what future historians may want to know.

The standing instructions to the editors say, we should be writing a story on how a ship reacts to the world around it and this includes taking on fuel, giving passengers a ride and a whole bunch of other stuff.  It does not include which specific sails go up or down or the exact course changes a ship makes to get from point A to point B.  Unless those are significant to the ship's placement in a battle.

My landlubber mind says, no one really interested in sailing a ship wants my landlubber reading of sail changes.  And I'm obeying the Golden Rule of transcription, all such comments are optional.  And I really, really don't want to learn how to set sails by reading a log keeper's scribbles.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 09:01:08 pm »
Very helpful!

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 10:46:20 pm »
I'll second randi!  Thanks Janet! ;D

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »
As a sailor... Sail changes depend on how much wind there is. Adding or dropping sails would be an indication of the weather and the wind speed and/or if the ship is trying to make time or stall before entering an anchorage or attacking another ship.

If they are pulling or adding LOTS of sails I'd suggest a 'comment' as that means they are in a storm, about to be in a storm, or leaving one.

Comments like 'tacking' or 'wearing' indicate turning around or large changes in course. 

Hope this helps somewhat!! ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 07:40:00 pm »
Thanks Dean!
Land lubber slightly less lubbered!  ;D ;D

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 09:35:39 pm »
Joan:

Glad to be of assistance! ;D

If the new Phase 3's are sailing ships, I'll have to get going. I've been finishing the Edit for M23 and working on M24.

'Normally' sails and stuff are handled by the Watch on duty.  A 'good' captain will - if he can - hold sail changes until the 'change of watch' when he has two watches and it's easier.  Should there be a blow or other need it's going to be an 'all hands on deck' call! ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 10:12:39 pm »
Hi Dean,
Yes the Rodgers is under sail - it's very exciting. I printed out a full set of sails so I could understand what was going on. As someone who HATES heights I couldn't possible go up aloft..and the idea of having to sort out the 'moonraker' - it sounds so romantic - one must feel like an albatross up there.  (I'd be like a fulmer...well...you know what they do....  :P).
Joan

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 01:52:37 pm »
Hi Dean,
Yes the Rodgers is under sail - it's very exciting. I printed out a full set of sails so I could understand what was going on. As someone who HATES heights I couldn't possible go up aloft..and the idea of having to sort out the 'moonraker' - it sounds so romantic - one must feel like an albatross up there.  (I'd be like a fulmer...well...you know what they do....  :P).
Joan

Joan:  It's 'scary' but neat! (I do it as you can see from my Avatar!) The truth of the matter is I'm the lightest guy in our Club that's dumb enough to GO way up there and can WORK when he gets there!!  The view is spectacular. I've never been on a BIG sailing ship and only go aloft in the harbor.

I'd suggest some side reading like about Hornblower, Nelson, or some of the Trafalger stories. I'll get a list of some good authors and pass them on.  I'm also sure others here will list their favorites.

Blessings,  Dean

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:06 pm »
Hi Dean,
Joan

Joan:  It's 'scary' but neat! (I do it as you can see from my Avatar!) The truth of the matter is I'm the lightest guy in our Club that's dumb enough to GO way up there and can WORK when he gets there!!  The view is spectacular. I've never been on a BIG sailing ship and only go aloft in the harbor.

I'd suggest some side reading like about Hornblower, Nelson, or some of the Trafalger stories. I'll get a list of some good authors and pass them on.  I'm also sure others here will list their favorites.

Blessings,  Dean
Thanks Dean - you couldn't add a brown paper bag for emergencies to that could you (surely you can't get vertigo readng a book?...hhmmm...er...) please?  ::) ;D ;D
Joan
PS - I do have a Hornblower somewhere come to think of it...  8)

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 10:17:41 pm »
Hi.
As I am finding the second pages hard to read (Corwin) is there anyway/where I can see what others have written.
It would save repeats of events/people etc and also if it is not recorded I could spend more time trying to make entries.
Thanks
Stuart.