Author Topic: RN Hands make + mend  (Read 2671 times)

marcel-jan

• View Profile
RN Hands make + mend
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:24:30 pm »
I don't this note from the log of the HMS Cambrian, June 19th 1920

Hands make + mand
Req. 1 rating from Detention Bks.

Did one sailor got in the detention books?
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM53-36793/ADM%2053-36793-098_1.jpg

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:07:00 am by Janet Jaguar »

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Hands make + mand
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:05 pm »
Hi, these are two separate notes.

The first is 'hands make and mend' - they are making and mending their clothes.  This comes up regularly - on my ship usually once a week at least.

The second is 'Rec'd - which is short for 'received' 1 Rating from Detention Bks - but I don't know exactly what the Detention Bks are - Bks would usually be short for books, but that doesn't really work.  Maybe one of the naval experts can help with that.

Helen J

Haywain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:31:38 pm »
Detention Barracks I assume is the naval prison

Gixernutter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:44:45 pm »
As Helen has said, these are 2 separate notes and she is (mostly) correct in both.

While "Make & Mend" does mean crews making, repairing or cleaning their kit (not just clothes), it also refers to time spent doing other activities other than 'work' but not time ashore or 'leave'. This can be sport, studying for promotion, writing letters home, or any other beneficial task.

'Detention Bks' does mean Detention Barracks (aka Detention Quarters - DQs) and was (still is) far worse than any civilian prison. It was also unusual to return to a ship having served time in one as their punishment was reserved for the more serious crimes. Usually personnel leaving Detention Barracks were dishonourably discharged from the Service.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:55:45 pm »
Thanks for extending my picture of what's going on with the making and mending - I'd assumed it was only clothes, so it's really interesting to know it has a wider meaning.

And also to learn it's unusual to have someone coming back from Detention Barracks - would love to know the story behind that, but I don't suppose we ever will ....

Helen

dorbel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »
I think Gixernutter must be mistaken about the rarity of ratings being returned to their ship from detention on shore. It has happened a lot in the logs that I have scanned, in wartime and peacetime. Perhaps 90 years ago it was a sanction more often used than it is today.

Gixernutter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:57:11 am »
I think Gixernutter must be mistaken about the rarity of ratings being returned to their ship from detention on shore. It has happened a lot in the logs that I have scanned, in wartime and peacetime. Perhaps 90 years ago it was a sanction more often used than it is today.
That is quite possible, especially given the large number of personnel required to man the vast amount of ships the RN had at the time. Equally, seemingly 'harsh' discipline was much more widely used than in the later half of the 20th century (before the forerunner of 'Human Rights' and 'Elf 'n Safety' put an end to such delights as 'keel-hauling' and 'the Cat')!

He shuffles off muttering "They're all soft-Southern shandy drinkers"  ::)